Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Alfine Commuter

I'm looking at getting a bike to commute the 15 miles to work on. Like the idea of the low maintenance of an alfine setup.

anyone had experience of alfine 8 or 11? what's it like with mildly hilly rides?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

James Warrener | 12 years ago
0 likes

If you dont buy this one I will cry a little for you...

http://on-one.co.uk/news/products/q/date/2011/08/12/pompetamine-versa-11...

silly | 12 years ago
0 likes

The pompetamine versa 11 certainly looks to cover all my needs. Interested to see how it handles off road, as fancy using it for some light cyclo cross.

Like the looks of the Genesis day one as well, just not sure can stretch to that. Anyone seen any other versa alfine 11 equipped bikes that will handle cyclo cross?

JB3264 | 12 years ago
0 likes

I've been doing an 18 mile each way commute on a Marin San Anselmo Alfine for a year now. It's the 8 speed hub and it's fine for everything I've encountered so far. I changed the 20T rear sprocket for an 18T as I was tending to use 6, 7 and 8 for everything. Now use 1 gear lower but still rarely go near the smallest numbers. Looking at the ratios 1 and 2 should get you up everything but the steepest hills. I do find that the jump between the middle and high gears is pretty big (67", 82", 95" and 108" for 5,6,7,8th) so I've found it a challenge to get a gear that is comfortable to spin in like I do on a derailleur bike. I expect that the 11 speed may help improve this issue? In the winter though it's good to know that the gears are protected from the elements. I only replaced the chain in the spring. I've not had the hub serviced yet due to the lack of a LBS with the right tools and expensive shimano oil.
Overall I would recommend the Alfine if you intend to ride through the winter or just want a litte less maintenance.

dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes

just had an on-one pompetamine 11 land at road.cc towers. stay tuned for the review!

sanderville | 12 years ago
0 likes

Which bike are you looking at? I've been commuting with a Nexus 7 for the last four years and I'm never going back to derailleurs for commuting. The Charge Mixer 2011 looks good, I'm thinking of picking one up end of season.

From what I've seen of the specs the Alfine 11 gives you a higher top speed over the 8 but the type of bikes that come fitted with it tend to feel rickety at anything over 30mph so you wouldn't really need it in my view. My bike feels as though the wheels are falling off long before I get to top speed. 34.5mph on the flat is my record on my Decathlon Triban 5 hybrid.

silly | 12 years ago
0 likes

ignore me found the review

http://road.cc/content/review/27971-shimano-alfine-11-hub-and-shifter

looks like will handle quite well, now to take a look at the on-one pompetamine

Latest Comments