Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Help please

Hello

I did this to my crank on the way into work today. I was in top gear hammering it out of the saddle and it bent! I'm quite big muscular build 6.2 in the high 15s. It a campy xenon which I know is not the pinnacle of chainsets but is this normal? Its about 18months old and I've recently been doing a lot of interval work in top gear to try improve my power and it seems to be working alas not without its casualties.
Have any of you had the same thing happen? Do you think its just wear? Are the more expensive camps stronger? I guess they would be. Any advice appreciated (apart from knocking the pies on the head)

Thanks alot.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

velotech_cycling | 12 years ago
0 likes

Hi there - sorry you have had a problem.

If you have a proof of purchase & are the original owner (i.e. it wasn't an Ebay sale, but from a legit. retailer) & it was bought within the last 3 years, we can look at it as a warranty case.

If you send it to us at Velotech Cycling Ltd., 37 Dinglederry, Olney, Bucks MK46 5ES with a copy of the proof of purchase, we can examine it & hopefully get you sorted out. Please send the RH crank with the ring in situ.

KRs
Graeme
Velotech Cycling Ltd, Campagnolo UK Approved Warranty Service Centre.

big mick | 12 years ago
0 likes

no i bloody was not.I could not ride the bike for a year and had to have a bone graft operation to fix the clavicle.

notfastenough | 12 years ago
0 likes

@Big mick

Ouch! Were you secretly proud of breaking a DA crank though?!

Mr Will | 12 years ago
0 likes

I'd vote chainring bolt too - happened to me once. They are just not the sort of thing you check, but they can work loose.

big mick | 12 years ago
0 likes

I am the same build and while on a training camp i snapped a Shimano Dura-ace crank.I ended up in hospital with a broken clavical so its not unique.

dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes

I've had that happen before and the culprit was the chainring bolt, it had worked loose and wasn't supporting the ring any more.

Dog72 replied to dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes

Chainring bolt? Is that the 5/6 allan key on the face of the 50 Chain Ring?
Thanks.

Giant Rob | 12 years ago
0 likes

You must have powerful legs!! Seriously though they should not bend like that. Did your chain get jammed?

Dog72 replied to Giant Rob | 12 years ago
0 likes

No It didn't jam. I sprinted out of the saddle and then it just slipped the chain after 20meters looked down and it was bent. Don't think it was to keen on my weight. I'm taking it to LBS later so hope they can shed some light and put a new one on.

Simon_MacMichael | 12 years ago
0 likes

If the bike was bought 18 months ago, it might be worthwhile having a read of this, hope it helps:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1677034/Two-year-warran...

Dog72 replied to Simon_MacMichael | 12 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Simon. Good info to have for purchasing in general. Although in this case I think It a cheap chainset thats taken repeated hammering and is just not upto it. My concern is that maybe camps are not the best for my size although I'd like to think they would build them for the real world.

Stanwaysteve | 12 years ago
0 likes

Can't be right

Latest Comments