Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Wobbly Bottom

Thought I'd worn out the BB on the Bowery. I've read a few blogs that say that the standard items are made of cheese so no surprise there...

The surprise is that the BB is fine, it's the shell that isn't.  20

What wobble I could feel, is actually the drive-side of the BB moving vertically in the frame.

Anyone got a fix for this??

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

DaveP | 14 years ago
0 likes

Dave,

Cheers for the advice..
Go get the Bowery, they're a real hoot.  1

GIANT Dave | 14 years ago
0 likes

They do both need to be tight or you will get that. Glad it was easily fixed. Think I'll get myself a Bowery '72. Give us a shout if you have any other queries.

DaveP | 14 years ago
0 likes

Dave,

I popped in to Winstanleys with the frame. The guys stripped out the BB, found the screw-in wedge on the non-drive side was loose. They said that the threads and the shell were ok, so everything got reassembled with the original bits. I'm not sure how the drive side of the BB could move up and down, a millimetre or two, by the non-drive side being loose....

Still, it's done a couple of commutes without fault.  1
Next time I'll fit a new BB before crying "Wolf!".

It's a fantastic bike and I hated being without it.

GIANT Dave | 14 years ago
0 likes

Hi DaveP.
You've got a 10 year warranty on that frame covering material and manufacturing issues so I'd suggest you get the bike back to your supplying dealer so they can take a look and we can go from there.
I've genuinely not heard of this problem on our BB shells.

Please contact me direct if you need any more help dward [at] giant-bicycles.co.uk

DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

If it is not still under warranty, you could get it reamed and sleeved by someone like Argos in Bristol.

They did a perfect job of my track bike that had a stripped BB shell (not by me, but some unscrupulous ebayer!). Cost was around £50.

Latest Comments