Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Smooth Roads Network

One of the best things about cycling in France or Italy is the smooth roads. Britain has so few that I'd like to know where they are so I can ride them! Does anybody know of a website that lists the best smooth roads to ride (eg the B4293 between Chepstow and Monmouth)? If not maybe you could all send me recommended smooth roads and I'll build a website on which to show them! Andy

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

zzgavin | 12 years ago
0 likes

so it's a national endeavour in France, rather than a local bunfight in the uk. You could reference the road works in progress websites, eg there is a Lonon one here http://public.londonworks.gov.uk/roadworks/

I noticed on a recent trip to Paris that they date each bit of pavement they put down, so that you can see how old it is, making it feel more accountable.

I wonder is there a fixmystreet like app here?
see http://www.fixmystreet.com/

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Because they actually invest money into the road networks unlike over here, we just bung money to the local council n other road contractors and expect them to do it, but they always end up "short of cash" or its been diverted to another part of the network, If i had a decent cam i would make a vid of a local road with is "uncycleable"

dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes

I don't know of a site, but it sounds like a great idea. From cycling from Bath to Colchester last month I'd say that the quality of the surface gets better the further east you go in England. Not sure why that would be?

zzgavin | 12 years ago
0 likes

anyone know why their roads are so much better, they do get better summers and colder winters, so you'd think they come off worse?

LondonCalling | 12 years ago
0 likes

They just paved my road...

Latest Comments