Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Road Shoe - Lateral movement

For the last couple of thousand k's I have been using Shimano A520 SPD pedals and Specialized trail shoes with an SPD clip, on my Cube road bike. Actually got really used to them but thought I would bite the bullet and buy some road shoes.

My first venture into road specific shoes is by means of Shimano R087 shoes and R540 pedals with SPD SL road cleats.

Been out tonight for the first time with this combination and frankly it's a bit odd. The connection of the cleat to the shoe is nice and tight but there seems to be a lot of lateral 'skid' across the pedal surface with the cleat engaged. Basically my foot seems to move about a lot across the pedal.

Is it normal to have such movement because my old SPD and A520 pedals was pretty much rock solid.

Ian

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

sendgridover | 12 years ago
0 likes

Pleased to say that the Zero float cleats arrived today having ordered them yesterday afternoon - fitted - problem sorted.

Looking at the zero float cleat, on the rear edge there are two raised sections which make contact with the pedal and restrict the lateral movement (float).

I will see how I get on with road shoes and cleats, but still have the option of going back to SPDs and Trail shoes if I am not happy.

keith roberts | 12 years ago
0 likes

I dont know why you want to change to the road pedals/cleats, I'm happy with the spd/mtb shoe combo...as i've said before at least i can walk to the coffe shop after a ride with out walking like a duck with something up its bum...and as for stiffness and power transfer through the sole of the shoe,well,how many of us produce that much power AND put it through the pedal?
save your money and buy some decent wheels and tyres,more performance there...?  4

0 likes

Just been on to those great people at CRC who have done me a nice deal on a set of Zero float cleats given that their web site does not indicate accurately enough what comes with the new pedals.

Should be sorted now (or within a day or so). Will post up the outcome.

Cheers guys

dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes
0 likes

Excellent - Thanks Stewie, that's possibly the answer I am looking for.

Any idea as to what and where?

Many thanks

Ian

stewieatb | 12 years ago
0 likes

The R540s come with an SPD-SL cleat that allows some float (6 degrees I think?), it may feel like a lot if you're used to more solid SPDs. You can buy SPD-SL cleats with no float if you want.

the_mikey | 12 years ago
0 likes

Depending on the cleats and pedals, typically, float will fall somewhere between 0 and 10 degrees of movement. I'm not familiar with shimano pedals or cleats however, so I can't comment on how they work.

I use look KeO cleats and pedals, once clipped in, the shoe can freely rotate around the pedal by a few degrees (this is called float), it cannot slide left or right. Rotating beyond the range of the float will cause the cleat to be released from the pedal.

I would definately look again at the cleats, ensuring all three bolts are used and are tight and aligned according to your preference. Note: How the cleats are aligned on the shoes will affect where your feet can stray while cycling, try to avoid allowing your heels to collide with the chainstays for example.

0 likes

Thanks for this - Float, yeh OK but what is normal - Measured from the heel, I have a good inch of movement across the pedal surface with the cleat engaged. In terms of security of the cleat to the shoe, they are nice and tight.

Looking from the underside of the pedal with the shoe fitted, there are what I can only describe as 'wings' on the rear edge of the cleat and there is a gap between the other edge of the pedal and the 'wing' of the cleat. When you twist the shoe as if disengaging the cleat under normal riding conditions this gap is taken up before the cleat opens the pedal. Difficult to explain but with your foot in the shoe whilst moving along the road, the sensation is one of skidding on the pedal surface.

Incidentally - the cleats came with the pedals - Shimano R540 so I would suspect they would be the right ones.

It may be all OK, but it feels really odd when your foot is moving around on the pedal.

the_mikey | 12 years ago
0 likes

I can think of two things:

1:FLOAT - The pedals, or rather the cleats you're using on your shoes allow a certain amount of float, that determines how much you can twist or move your feet while clipped into the pedals.

The solution is to purchase cleats with less or zero float, although float can help prevent discomfort or pain.

Or

2: The cleats don't match the pedals, or they're not secured to the shoe properly.

Latest Comments