Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New rear brake cable after 7 weeks?

Hello all,

I purchased my bike 7 weeks ago and have been loving getting out on it. I've done about 400 miles so far, but twice got absolutely soaked. One ride was 5-6 hrs in constant rain! Bike has been cleaned meticulously each time after use.

My issue is now that my rear brake is notchy and sticking... I partially stripped it down last night and cleaned the cable, then reassembled and its still sticky.

Do you think I really need a new cable already? The cables are Shimano SLR cables so I thought they'd last longer than 400 miles/7 weeks.

If I replace them what would you suggest?

Thanks for any help.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

Whippet | 12 years ago
0 likes

Cheers guys, I wondered if it was the cable outer at fault, hence the reason to re-wrap the bars. I used GT85 when cleaning the cable last night. Anyway I've dropped it in at the LBS now for a tune up/clearance service as all the cables had stretched etc so I'll see what they suggest.

wakou replied to Whippet | 12 years ago
0 likes
Whippet wrote:

Anyway I've dropped it in at the LBS now for a tune up/clearance service as all the cables had stretched etc so I'll see what they suggest.

Suggest??
I would 'suggest' they replaced all the cables for a start-off if they wanted my continuing custom.....
Or did you not buy it from them?

Whippet replied to wakou | 12 years ago
0 likes
wakou wrote:
Whippet wrote:

Anyway I've dropped it in at the LBS now for a tune up/clearance service as all the cables had stretched etc so I'll see what they suggest.

Suggest??
I would 'suggest' they replaced all the cables for a start-off if they wanted my continuing custom.....
Or did you not buy it from them?

It wasn't purchased from them. To be honest with the weather I have been riding in I am not surprised it got that way.

matt637 | 12 years ago
0 likes

why do you need to re wrap the bars? Can't the cable just be fed through from the brake lever through the cable housing and via the frame? Anyway, i've used cables for seven years never mind seven weeks! There's something not right there. Have you cleaned or used a sticky substance that could mean the cable is getting stuck in the housing? It may be worth upgrading the housing and the cable and using a nice light clear lube on the cable to help it slide better, but i would imagine that the kit on a £1600 bike should be up to the job really!

Whippet | 12 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for that, agreed I would expect more from a £1600 bike... The reason I am reluctant to do it as I'd need to rewrap the bars... and it looks so neat now!  3

Gepin | 12 years ago
0 likes

I had the same problem with the same cables  14 Have to say that I was less than impressed.
I have now replaced all the cables with "Jagwire" inners and outers that I have used on my mountain bikes with no issues for years. I expected more from a £1300 bike!

Latest Comments