Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cav - next year?

Where do you think he may end up? Rumour has it its a done deal to be at Sky but just read this morning Cav's been talking to Quickstep.
H.T.C. supposed to be announcing whats happening to the team next week.
Personnaly i think its sad that the current HTC squad are gonna be broken up (maybe?)
Discuss

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

21 comments

Adey | 12 years ago
0 likes

Also found this
This focus is most obvious at the front end of the bike. Here Cavendish opts for a stout looking PRO Vibe Sprint carbon stem that's been adapted for his signature line from PRO’s Vibe carbon track stem. The 7000-series handlebar is also built to be stiff, without great concern for weight; PRO’s Vibe Sprint uses internal reinforcing to reduce flex, so much so that the tops are double wrapped with handlebar tape to offer some comfort.

The sprinter also adds a bit of weight to the already hefty Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 group by adding on the SW-7972 ‘Sprint’ satellite shifters, which allow lightning fast shifts at 50kph with just the flick of his thumb. He also makes good use of the Di2 levers' reach adjustment, dialing them in considerably — offsetting the natural angle of the levers when mounted so high on the handlebar — so that they’re always at his fingertips.

A Shimano-armed SRM power meter is also part of the drivetrain, and is fitted with a chainring spider to mount — and match — Shimano's super-stiff 53-tooth Dura-Ace 7900 hollow outer chainring. For climbing, Cavendish uses the standard 7900 39-tooth inner ring. Cavendish turns over the crankarms with a custom set of Shimano PD-7900 pedals made with special longer axles that add roughly 2cm to the overall Q-factor of the bike. Optimal Q-factor is dependant on a rider’s body; Cavendish feels his natural stance is wider than that of the standard crank and pedal system, and that he can create more power with the wider stance.

nick_rearden | 12 years ago
0 likes

JeffP; Cav'll be on a Dura-Ace 10-speed cassette starting with an 11 and then a bottom of 21, 23 or 25 depending on how big the lumps are on the way. For proper mountains there are combos bottoming out with 27 and one hears tell of pros even using 'compact' chainsets with a 34 tooth inner chainring for mountain stages. David Millar at this year's TDF (or was it the Giro? I forget) was a bit of a celebrity for using a 30-something SRAM cassette with one of their mountain bike gear mechs but that was because he had to use a 39-tooth inner ring at the front. Must find out why...

jeffpastor replied to nick_rearden | 12 years ago
0 likes

I guess not much different from us peons, they just don't have any body fat and spin helluva alot faster and longer

jeffpastor | 12 years ago
0 likes

question on gearing: any idea what Cav's gearing is during the sprint stages and on Mtn stages whats the typical rear cog for the climbers

arsene | 12 years ago
0 likes

@stumps: Ah I didn't know that Swift is so close with Cav. I just thought they would have too many sprinters.
At the moment Sky has Swift, Henderson, Sutton, Appollonio and Boasson H. which is quite a lot. So if Cav comes there will be two more - him and Renshaw - and when Cav participates in a race hes the leader so theres not much space for the rest. Would be logical if Henderson and Sutton move to Green Edge cause they want 70% Aussies in their squad.

Squiggle replied to arsene | 12 years ago
0 likes
arsene wrote:

Would be logical if Henderson and Sutton move to Green Edge cause they want 70% Aussies in their squad.

Hendy's a Kiwi not an Aussie!

Sorry that's all I can contribute to the post other than I'm looking forward to next week when we find out what's gonna kick off!  4

RuthF28 | 12 years ago
0 likes

I can't see how a team could support both Wiggins and Cav. It would be a great shame for such a good team as HTC to be broken up, but I guess that's the way of things. So pleased to see him in the green jersey at long last.

37monkey | 12 years ago
0 likes

Cav tweeted that he liked the Europecar kit, during the tour, probably 'cause it's green though  39

miffed | 12 years ago
0 likes

I'd have thought if htc do split up Goss would want to be the focus of sprinting in a different team. Hes won MSR and looks like a sprinter in the Thor mould, big guy who can fight over some hills and still sprint.

Stumps | 12 years ago
0 likes

When the British Champs was on in Northumberland Cav was deep in conversation with the Sky bosses prior to the friday night criterium. Ok he knows them all from the track but it certainly makes you think.

If he comes to Sky then i can see Renshaw and Eisel coming with him and Sky will release some of their less successful / older riders. It will give him a lead out team of Renshaw, Eisel, and G. Not bad !

arsene replied to Stumps | 12 years ago
0 likes
stumps wrote:

When the British Champs was on in Northumberland Cav was deep in conversation with the Sky bosses prior to the friday night criterium. Ok he knows them all from the track but it certainly makes you think.

If he comes to Sky then i can see Renshaw and Eisel coming with him and Sky will release some of their less successful / older riders. It will give him a lead out team of Renshaw, Eisel, and G. Not bad !

Theres rumours that Cav, Eisel and Renshaw move to Sky. If that comes true I can imagine at least Henderson and Sutton going to that new Australian Team Green Edge. Maybe a few other Sky riders like Gerrans or Swift are going there too.

Stumps replied to arsene | 12 years ago
0 likes
arsene wrote:

If that comes true I can imagine at least Henderson and Sutton going to that new Australian Team Green Edge. Maybe a few other Sky riders like Gerrans or Swift are going there too.

Swift and Cav train together in Italy as they live not far apart so i cant see him moving to the Aus team. Your probably right about Sutton and Henderson though as Sky now have Apollonio who looks a cracking prospect as well as Swift and EBH.

arthur e replied to Stumps | 12 years ago
0 likes

And there was the stage he won this year with Renshaw last on the train and G second last !!

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

The way i see it and it may just be me, but it all depends on the rider he wants to be

Does he want to do a Zabel and keep winning back to back green on the Tdf?

Or does he want to expand and become more of a classic/sprinter/track all round kind points guy like Zabel was

Cause if his only goal is to keep winning green, stick with HTC, if he wants to get out and win more and more, move somewhere else

thefatcyclist | 12 years ago
0 likes

Might all just be contract talk, depends on a sponsor for HTC. The Cervelo mess ended up ok. Reminds me a little bit of Frans Klammer in the late 70s, changed skis for the wrong reasons, was never the same skier. This is what worries me about Cav, why would you change a winning formula, what can he possibly gain?

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Nah i think Cav would just replace Swift and take one or two with him, Bernie Eisel for sure

thefatcyclist | 12 years ago
0 likes

I think this may be a domino effect.

If HTC do not find a sponsor and dissolve, but they have got to be a good bet for somebody, being about the worlds top team. Then Cav goes to Sky, he will want to take Renshaw, but he is being linked to this new Australian team, so maybe Goss goes to Sky too, and Wiggins leaves, because Sky then become a stage and sprint team. Quickstep would be a poor move

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

I think if HTC can keep some of the team together he may stay, but i think its well known he's off to sky

Fixedwheelnut | 12 years ago
0 likes

Where ever they go I hope they stay together, the team work so well together they deserve that much, hopefully another sponsor will step in for them.
Fantastic having Cavendish in Green only hope the British Media give him decent coverage for it.

Stanwaysteve | 12 years ago
0 likes

Never going to go to quickstep

Adey | 12 years ago
0 likes

Made up for the lad in this years tour btw
Green jersey well deserved

Latest Comments