Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Specialized Allez Comp Road Bike 2010 vs 2011 - Help - 1k limit, which one?

Hi

Im just about to embark on buying my next big road bike, the last 5 years iv had a old steel framed road bike which has done me proud, but now i want to go further and really take on cycling as a major interest.
I been down to my local (very professional) bike store and am in abit of a conundrum, for sale, both the same price of around £950 is either the Specialized Allez Comp Road Bike 2010 or the 2011. My dealer tells me the 2010 is higher spec, but tbh i prefer the look of the 2011 and again its a newer bike, is the such a difference?
What would you guys recommend/ think?

Thanks

Sam

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

cborrman | 12 years ago
0 likes

i had the same decision on a lower model. The dealer, you are right, is very professional; and as such is desperately trying to get rid of his older stock first!

the 2011 has a much stiffer and more formed top tube, your even has a tapered headset, and is closer top the tarmac than ever in 2011 guise. In terms of wheels, these may look worse on paper, but these wheels are throughout the range, are as light as any of last years and have been potholled by me and are as stiff and functional as can be expected, so would not say the 2010 is better specced even on the wheel front, when you look at the groupset and frame there is no question of 2011!

Fish_n_Chips | 12 years ago
0 likes

Just Tony to beat me to it LOL  19  4

I wanted that frame a few years ago when they used it for a Tour (de France?) and if it was good enough to race on in 2003, you will love it.

E5 frame used to be in their S-works section.

Fish_n_Chips | 12 years ago
0 likes

Compare against each other:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/allez-comp-2010-road-bik...

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/allez-comp-2011-road-bik...

If I'm not incorrect, the 2011 has the new 105. It has a 1.5 " headset which is stiffer.

They have saved money on the wheels/hubs but beefed up to full 105 not just a shimano std crank or brake.

Go for 2011 if its the same price and nice new spec. Keep the wheels for training and upgrade when you can when you are fitter/sportives etc. Otherwise leave it alone and ride  1

Tony Farrelly | 12 years ago
0 likes

Hmm… well looking at the spec for both bikes the 2010 bike on paper at least probably has marginally better hubs and tyres - the 2011 bike though should have the benefit of the newer 5700 version of Shimano 105 with uprated levers, mechs and brakes and hidden cable routing under the bar tape.

On that basis I'd go for the 2011 bike too unless the 2010 version has been tricked out by the shop with something special.

smeddle | 12 years ago
0 likes

Yeah thats what i thought, some reason the guy at the shop thought it was a higher spec, will have to go see if theres any extras on it,
Its what i thought tho, thanks

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

I thought they were both 105 all round and pretty much the same spec

If that is the case and i'm sure someone will tell you then get the 2011

Latest Comments