Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Percentages, how to work them out?

Right, i'm trying to figure out how to work out the percentage of a climb to try and quantify to a mate how steep it really is and why i always stop for an intake of breath at the top, lol

It starts at 113ft above sea and climbs to 681ft in the course of 1.2km or .76 miles if its easier to work out?

I was told that its the rise divided by the run times 100? Is that right?

Then it would work out around 14.5% for that?  7 just seems steeper than i thought

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

10/10 for enjoyment or difficulty? cause i'd go 3/10 for enjoyment but 10/10 for being hard and also having great views  1

dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes

10/10 in 100 greatest rides, the lecht...

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the tip about mapmyride

I do it alot from both sides, go over from this side and have a break in tomintoul or go to dufftown and then back over from the north, the south side is a killer but as you said, its scary to descend, i've had a few close calls with running wide or wobbles and once it got me and left its mark on my arse  14

Squiggle | 12 years ago
0 likes

And yes that gradient sounds perfectly feasible if you mean the lower part with the switchbacks up to the first lookout point! (20%).

Squiggle | 12 years ago
0 likes

Yo Gkam if you want to know what category it is then just plot it on mapmyride. I've only done the Lecht from the North side which I reckon must be a lot easier although I've come down the south side and that was scary as hell as I'm sure you well know!

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Its just one of the climbs on The Lecht, which is just north from me, takes you over to Tomintoul.

I think overall its 5km of climbing and using the maths above it ramps up to 20% at some points

dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes

work it out in feet or metres, it's not important.

1.2km is 1200m
568ft is 173m

average gradient is 14.4%, like what you thought

That's a fierce hill. Where is it?

9lives2 | 12 years ago
0 likes

4 math dudes working hard!

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Right, but 568/3937*100 = 14.42%

I was told to work it all out in feet because thats the height i'm measuring in, so 1.2km is 3937ft  39

I think this is where i'm getting confused and i worked out 568ft was 173m

tpknight | 12 years ago
0 likes

142/1200 * 100 = 11.83%

142 m is 568 ft which is how much you climbed over 1200 m distance times 100 to give you a percentage

Tom

Latest Comments