Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

TdF Stage 16

Just thought i'd start this early so someone dont go stealing my title this time  19  19

So whats your thoughts of the stage on Tuesday? I think a few guys may drop out tomorrow, mainly the sprinters who are doing nowt and not able to help their teams through the Alps

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

95 comments

Squiggle replied to KirinChris | 12 years ago
0 likes

Didn't mean to post that twice.

livestrongnick | 12 years ago
0 likes

Cadel EVANS
Ben SWIFT
Rigoberto URAN URAN
Philippe GILBERT
Thomas VOECKLER
Arnold JEANNESSON
Vincent JEROME
Jérémy ROY
Jelle VANENDERT

Going for it........fingers crossed!!!

dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

the narrower the tyres the less contact with the road surface, so yes, more speed, but less traction in the corners, therefore more chance of going down?

not really, no.

A smaller contact patch doesn't necessarily mean less traction. It's just the same force applied over a smaller area. depending on the mechanical properties of the tyre, this can make traction better or worse, and the effects will vary in different conditions.

Rolling resistance again isn't directly linked to the contact patch but more to the tyre casing's ability to deform in response to irregularities in the road surface. It's this deformation that absorbs energy that would otherwise go into your forward momentum. That's one reason why all the pros use 320TPI tubs.

0 likes
Quote:

AbudabiChris go and find two rubber erasers, a big fat one and a small one. Put them both on a flat surface and drag them sideways towards you with equal downwards pressure. Now which one took the least effort to pull?

Then go and do it on a wet surface, or an oily one, and you'll find it's the smaller eraser that's harder to shift. It's not that simple.

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Right, i'm thinking there might have to be an experiment here  19

I suppose it all comes down to how comfortable you are on any set of tyres going down at speed then? Each have positive and negatives to them

Psyclyst | 12 years ago
0 likes

Anyone having a punt on Faria da Costa?

The Chaplin | 12 years ago
0 likes

Big gamble for tomorrow - dumped both Schleks in favour of Basso and Gilbert....

Ivan BASSO
Ben SWIFT
Rigoberto URAN URAN
Philippe GILBERT
Thomas VOECKLER
Arnold JEANNESSON
Vincent JEROME
Rein TAARAMAE
Jelle VANENDERT

Can see Gilbert going for it...just to be a pain in Cavendish's a**e!

dave atkinson replied to Psyclyst | 12 years ago
0 likes
Psyclyst wrote:

Anyone having a punt on Faria da Costa?

well i wasn't going to, but i'm tempted now you mention it  1

TERatcliffe26 | 12 years ago
0 likes

im hoping thor for the break again, meaning i have ditched a possible GC guy and no gilbert

Danielson
Hushovd
Uran
F Schleck
Voeckler
Taaramae
Vanendert
Peraud
Amador

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

I'm stuck on my last transfer, I have kept Tiralongo in for long enough knowing his break away skills and he can make them work, but do i switch him out for the likes of Jelly man?

Alan Tullett | 12 years ago
0 likes

@Gkam Jelly's looking good. Young and eager with something to defend, earnt me 41 points so far, so he's a nailed-on starter in my team.

Hope things go well tomorrow, the tour passes through my namesake town of Tulette (at 16km in), though I won't see it as the broadcasts usually start well after that.

0 likes

Cadel EVANS
Ben SWIFT
Rigoberto URAN URAN
Frank SCHLECK
Thomas VOECKLER
Andrey AMADOR BAKKAZAKOVA
Rui Alberto FARIA DA COSTA
Jérémy ROY
Jelle VANENDERT 

Jeremy Roy's had a day off - two, if you count plateau de beille  1 - so maybe he'll have another pop. who knows. certainly not me...

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Well i'm really stuck, i've cut it down to 13 choices, in the DS, if you hit value, anyone between SÖRENSEN and DE GENDT, because i think there will be a break and i think at least 2 of those 13 will try and make it, but i also think someone from Saxo HAS to go in a break, their sponsors must be going mental because the only rider i've seen is Contador, the rest might aswell have quit after the team time trail

OR should i play it safe and take in Jelly, Roy or Delage  14

Squiggle | 12 years ago
0 likes

Well I'm attacking tomorrow! Well I'm conservatively attacking tomorrow anyway! Sanchez, Gilbert, and Roy, all in! I wanted to go with Chavanel but it was just too big a risk.

We'll see.  39

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

My problem is, all my riders apart from the sprinter are safe points tomorrow

Andy SCHLECK
Manuel QUINZIATO (might do something)
Rigoberto URAN URAN
Frank SCHLECK
Thomas VOECKLER
Arnold JEANNESSON
Pierre ROLLAND
Rein TAARAMAE

Now i just have to work out my last DS, i have the top 4 young riders aswell which wasn't ment, i've picked with an eye to stage 17 onwards

rbx | 12 years ago
0 likes

Andy SCHLECK
Jose Joaquin ROJAS GIL
Rigoberto URAN URAN
Philippe GILBERT
Thomas VOECKLER
Andrey AMADOR BAKKAZAKOVA
Mickael DELAGE
Arnold JEANNESSON
Jelle VANENDERT

That's my team for tomorrow.

Risking Frank's assured points with the chance of Gilbert going on a break.

Still got a transfer in hand but not enough balance to do either of the two transfers I might want ... Jeannesson for Roy OR Rojas for Thor.

JAndrewHill | 12 years ago
0 likes

I think I'll go for:

Samuel SANCHEZ GONZALEZ
Cadel EVANS
Thomas VOECKLER
Frank SCHLECK
Rigoberto URAN URAN
Andy SCHLECK
Jelle VANENDERT
Mickael DELAGE
Sandy CASAR

londonplayer | 12 years ago
0 likes

hey, Casar and Sam Sanchez are both GC's. Your choice is impossible.  39

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Well i stayed with Tiralongo, mainly because i slept in this morning  14

Squiggle replied to Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

Well i stayed with Tiralongo, mainly because i slept in this morning  14

If you'd slept in all of yesterday too you might have unexpectedly pulled a fast one should they drop the Col de Manse due to the rain!  3

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Nah i say its a go'er its just drips and drabs where they are just now and only 66.6km left  19

0 likes

come on thor, let this group stay away

Squiggle | 12 years ago
0 likes

If anyone has Hushovd then well done on your imminent 30points!

Gkam84 replied to Squiggle | 12 years ago
0 likes
Squiggle wrote:

If anyone has Hushovd then well done on your imminent 30points!

Wouldn't be so sure, Roy and EBH are up there  4

0 likes

well ive got thor, 7 points from the sprint there and should stay 4th in green jersey comp, so another 2 for that. lets hope he stays to the finish and gets in the top few  1

Squiggle | 12 years ago
0 likes

Right now I'm kicking myself because I really wanted to put in Devenyns but chickened out.  46

At least I have Roy!

If Thor wasn't in this group I'd be putting my money on Hesjay. Garmin certainly looking good with 2 very strong options.

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Well i played with putting Roy in, but i couldn't just click the "confirm" because i still think Tiralongo can do something, but it will be the day after i take him out

I have no-one in the break, but as per usual there are guys in it who i have just transferred out, getting a bit fed up with them and think they can see my team and are screwing me over  19  19

rbx | 12 years ago
0 likes

I had to choose 2 out of Delage, Roy & Jeanneson. One of them is in the break, so no prizes for guessing which two I chose  22

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

I knew Contador had it in him, i just didn't think it would be today, but it had to be the day i didn't have him  20

rbx | 12 years ago
0 likes

Ruddy Heck! That did NOT go according to the plan at all. Another low scoring stage... might drop another 100 places  2

Pages

Latest Comments