Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

30 metric centuries in 30 days. Possible?

Is it possible for a rank amateur to do 30 metric centuries in 30 days?

I did my first metric century ride early June but followed it up with at least one every week and had planned to continue that. All this was on my hybrid.

Next week the road bike finally arrives and I wanna take a shot at this thing.

Just not sure how hard it'll be...
if I should even attempt it...
if I do, what are important things to care about...
if someone here has done / attempted it before...

Not sure I'll be able to finish even a week of daily metric centuries (best I've done is alternate days), but that shouldn't stop me from aiming for 30 consecutive ones, right?

My body starts pumping adrenaline every time I even think of this challenge so don't think I'm thinking straight. Hence, seeking some sage, non-adrenaline-fuelled advice... specially, if even an attempt can seriously harm me  17

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

I've been unemployed for a long time aswell and been using cycling to keep the boredom off and stay fit, but never thought about doing something like this

Although i have been looking at some long distance charity rides

You could do London-John'o'Groats-Lands End-London in 30 days at 100km a day  19

dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes

What you need is a metric century plan to take you round the various sofas and spare rooms of the road.cc forumites. A couchsurfing-cum-metric-century adventure.

Who's up for giving rbx a berth for the night?  1

rbx | 12 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the feedback folks...

@GKam84, @the_mikey : no speed or time targets. Just one target - 30 centuries in 30 days at whatever speed and terrain that is comfortable. I gather recovery will be the main issue.. so lesser the damage I inflict in first place the better  1

@james-o : Yup, I realised the need to vary routes. Based in LDN, these are the few straight ~100km rides I have in mind - to Cambridge, Oxford, Brighton, Canterbury / Dover. Then there are a few loops - High Wycombe & back, St. Albans & back, Box Hill & back, Windsor-Stains & Back and laps of Richmond Pk. Guess, these should be sufficient to get me started. BTW, kinda glad I'm not into BMX  3

@Fringe : Love the idea of turning this into a tour but the bike can't take panniers and don't wanna be camping alone. Still, might make a few of the rides as multi day affairs covering, say, South-West, South-East, East Anglia or towards Midlands. Great idea... thanks!  1

@Dave: Been unemployed for about 5 months now so thinking of this as a break from the disappointment of job hunt. Well ideation is easy ... reality hurts! Yup, planning to take it easy and the bike is set up for comfort. Any suggestions on routes starting LDN other than the ones I touched upon above?

dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes

are you taking a month off, or fitting it round work and stuff?

Either way, chapeau for the idea. now to make it a reality...

It's a good challenge but one that's achievable, i'd say. only you can find out how your body would hold up to the consistent effort, but a 100km ride on a decent road bike shouldn't beat you up too much.

I'd major on comfort over speed for your bike: 25mm tyres, carbon seatpost, good saddle, not too low at the front. maybe get some gel inserts for your bars too.

Fringe | 12 years ago
0 likes

james-o mentioned what i first thought whilst reading your post, that is vary your route.. even better take some panniers/tent and go round the country, easy to get a metric c. in every day and you get to see some other places.

james-o | 12 years ago
0 likes

As said above, it depends on your intended pace but there's no reason why not. Long-term fatigue will set in but you can do a few slow spinny days as effective recovery. Good recovery drinks + food plus proper sleep each night will make a big difference. Vary the route too otherwise it'll just become a dull numbers game.

Go for it! You've posted the idea online now - BMX rules say once you've called it, you gotta do it : )

the_mikey | 12 years ago
0 likes

Depends how fast you're going really, if you're trying to do each ride in 2-4 then maybe you'll be pushing yourself too hard, if you're aiming for 5-7 hours ride time then you can afford a more relaxed pace, spin in lower gears, spend less energy, less wear and tear generally. But only you can know how your body reacts to excersise, in my experience, even with light excersise like swimming for an hour a night, I need a day off at least twice a week..

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

If your not bothered about doing them in a certain then anyone should be able to do it without injury or harm, its when you start aiming for certain times everyday then your going to push your body further than its capable and risk doing something major to it, steady pace and you'll be fine

Latest Comments