Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Are these normal on new tyres?

Hi all,
I've bought 2 new continental gp4000s tyres, and both of them have 2 small holes/indents in them. I'm just wondering if this is normal or if there's a dodgy batch. I haven't noticed these on previous tyres (different makes).

For pics, please see:
http://www.scuk.co.uk/pic1.jpg
http://www.scuk.co.uk/pic2.jpg

Thanks.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

crimpit | 12 years ago
0 likes

You read the instructions for tyres?
Wow - I'm not sure if I've ever made it through a full instruction booklet for ANY bike component.

humpyg replied to crimpit | 12 years ago
0 likes
crimpit wrote:

You read the instructions for tyres?
Wow - I'm not sure if I've ever made it through a full instruction booklet for ANY bike component.

Ha ha, no I don't, well not normally, but because of these odd holes I looked at the instructions to see if there was any mention of them, and there wasn't. I generally only read instructions when there's an issue with something  1

Simon E replied to humpyg | 12 years ago
0 likes
humpyg wrote:

I generally only read instructions when there's an issue with something  1

Meaning - when you've cross-threaded a pedal or fitted something the wrong way round and it doesn't work  3

mpt68 | 12 years ago
0 likes

agree about them being a good tyre.just swopped onto them from gators might be me but they feel to have a bit more grip and a bit faster.

giff77 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Dave beat me to the punch! - wear indicators  1 they're great tyres by the way. I've just switched to them.

humpyg | 12 years ago
0 likes

Many thanks Dave, spot on  4
On closer look it says TWI ^. Now I know what that means. I couldn't see any mention in the instructions it came with.

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

You would think they'd put them on all their tyres?

Never seen them on Ultra sports, although there isn't much to them

dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes

It's a wear indicator. When the lil' hole disappears, time to swap 'em out.

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Never seen them on any Continental's i've bought, but i've never had GP4000's

It could just been the way they are made

Latest Comments