Derailleur help

by Gkam84   July 14, 2011  

Just had an email from a mate who seems to think i know what i'm talking about Nerd

Right, he's bent his Sora (i think) front derailleur, but cant seem to find a replacement because he's confused and has left me in the same state

He tells me that the seat tube is 41mm, but i've never heard of a derailleur that size (its band on btw) Thinking you've got 31.8 and 34.9 right?

So what do i suggest? he's in remote Scotland so a LBS isn't an option, thats why he's emailing me about it, but got me stumped

Any ideas?

5 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

Could be a braze on.

posted by Aidan [52 posts]
14th July 2011 - 22:28

like this
Like (0)

41mm does sound odd, if he takes off the old clamp shouldn't it be stamped on the inside?

posted by jmeakin [3 posts]
14th July 2011 - 22:31

like this
Like (0)

Deffo not braze on

On the inside of the clamp is the size?

Would buying a derailleur and just putting it on the old clamp not work? I dont want him to go taking to much to bits because all that'll happen is i'll have to go up there and put it together

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [8685 posts]
14th July 2011 - 22:50

like this
Like (0)

Hi there,
No you can't always take the mech off the clamp (if ever?). Those are the two most common clamp sizes, i'm sure there are others but i would surprised if Sora was anything other than the norm, also it would be one heck of an oversized piece of framework!

posted by matt637 [52 posts]
14th July 2011 - 23:28

like this
Like (0)

Ok, so his bike is "abnormal" Devil

Its got a combo of Sora and 105 apart from the front mech, which turns out to be a Sram XX 38.2mm and he tells me that there is an indent and thats the only reason it fits Confused

I thought the Sram XX was a mountain bike derailleur? do they work ok on road bikes?

If they work fine, then ok, but are their any road derailleurs at that size?

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [8685 posts]
15th July 2011 - 16:55

like this
Like (0)