Home

Just had an email from a mate who seems to think i know what i'm talking about  26

Right, he's bent his Sora (i think) front derailleur, but cant seem to find a replacement because he's confused and has left me in the same state

He tells me that the seat tube is 41mm, but i've never heard of a derailleur that size (its band on btw)  39 you've got 31.8 and 34.9 right?

So what do i suggest? he's in remote Scotland so a LBS isn't an option, thats why he's emailing me about it, but got me stumped

Any ideas?

5 comments

Aidan [55 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

Could be a braze on.

jmeakin [3 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

41mm does sound odd, if he takes off the old clamp shouldn't it be stamped on the inside?

Gkam84 [9080 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

Deffo not braze on

On the inside of the clamp is the size?

Would buying a derailleur and just putting it on the old clamp not work? I dont want him to go taking to much to bits because all that'll happen is i'll have to go up there and put it together

matt637 [47 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

Hi there,
No you can't always take the mech off the clamp (if ever?). Those are the two most common clamp sizes, i'm sure there are others but i would surprised if Sora was anything other than the norm, also it would be one heck of an oversized piece of framework!

Gkam84 [9080 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

Ok, so his bike is "abnormal"  19

Its got a combo of Sora and 105 apart from the front mech, which turns out to be a Sram XX 38.2mm and he tells me that there is an indent and thats the only reason it fits  7

I thought the Sram XX was a mountain bike derailleur? do they work ok on road bikes?

If they work fine, then ok, but are their any road derailleurs at that size?