Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tubulars

I am getting back into cycling after a few years. The roads I have where I live in rural Scotland are narrow tarmac with lots of gravel, potholes and big stones lying around. I have an old Specialized Epic road bike (93) which I love. I’m terrified of punctures mainly as the bike has tubulars and roadside repairs are beyond my competence.

Am I right in thinking that I would need new rims to change from tubulars? The rims say Isidis and the tyres appear to be a Vittoria Pro Team Corsa CX on the back and a Veloflex Criterium on the front. I pump to 100psi before every ride and they deflate entirely in a few days.

Can I get some bullet proof tubulars at a reasonable price or should I change to tubes and tyres? If so what do you recommend?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

cborrman | 12 years ago
0 likes

conti giro's and some stan's noflats

dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes

I'm a fan of Vredestein Fortezza Tricomps too. They're £20 a pop on Ribble right now.

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Well are you going to be pushing yourself hard and fast or taking it slow and steady till your back into the feel of it?

Cause if your going fast, you want narrower tyres Continental Ultra Sport 23c

Other wise i would get some nice Continental Ultra Sport 28c

I've only picked that ones because halfords had them one cheap and i bought 2 sets of each after using continentals for a long time and i'm loving them

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Fulcrum 7's are a good shout £100 here http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/Wheels/Road+Wheels/Factory+Road+...

Then sort out some tyres, stick your tubulars on fleebay and you'll make some money back because there are alot of tubular lovers out there  4

phototext replied to Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Thanks guys, I note that the Vittoria Pave tyres are as expensive as their tubularsany suggestions for tyres/tubes?

dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes

I'd deffo switch to clinchers; you could set yourself up with a set of Fulcrum Racing 7s and some dependable rubber for not much more than £150 if you shopped around.

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Yeah those coastal roads are great for picking up flats

If price isn't a huge thing, then get some Vittoria Pave tubulars, they are used in the Paris-Roubaix alot and are very hardy, but at that price and as your just getting back into it, you could pick up a set of clincher wheels and tyres

Latest Comments