Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Halfords mini-league

I had the temerity to create a mini-league on the Halfords TdF game called "road.cc ex-pats", password is "clenbuterol".

If anyone is going to win their Boardman bikes then it might as well be one of us. They only have one transfer window a week so it won't clash with the _real_ league on road.cc.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

78 comments

Gkam84 replied to dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes
dave_atkinson wrote:

You're all enjoying *our* game though, right?  4

Indeed, if i was in charge of Halfords league i would shoot myself cause its shocking

CarbonBreaker | 12 years ago
0 likes

it's not shocking, is more kind of low-rent awful.

Squiggle replied to dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes
dave_atkinson wrote:

thanks for all the positive comments on the road.cc game. Any suggestions to make it better are also welcome!

Hey Dave here's a suggestion... The regional tables are good but it'd be great if you could see your overall ranking within the home countries, UK, and Europe aswell.

Cheers, keep up the good work  3

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Any chance the league admin can kick out the 0 scorer "Mostly Hopeless" cause that team is bringing the avg score in the league of leagues right down  19

thefatcyclist replied to Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

Any chance the league admin can kick out the 0 scorer "Mostly Hopeless" cause that team is bringing the avg score in the league of leagues right down  19

I think not, I bet the effect is insignificant due to the laws of averages

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

It takes the avg score from 819 to 844, so its quite a jump and once the scores get higher, the jump will be higher again  20

sanderville | 12 years ago
0 likes

I had a look, Gkam, but there's no way to kick a player once they're in the league. The game is about as good as Halford's bike department.

Gkam84 replied to sanderville | 12 years ago
0 likes
Sanderville wrote:

I had a look, Gkam, but there's no way to kick a player once they're in the league. The game is about as good as Halford's bike department.

Give the game credit, at least it pretends to know what its talking about  4

The guys in Halfords just shrug and give up on questions

londonplayer | 12 years ago
0 likes

I wish I'd known about this league before but presumably it's too late to start playing?

Paddyk replied to Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Well, we're the guys who run it so would like to take some "constructive" criticism before shooting ourselves!  1

We thought it quite simple as per the game rules, give people 6 transfers per week to use at their discretion and one bonus circuit. Swap in Riders to suit the terrain.

We wanted to make it accessible to those who aren't cycling mad enthusiasts, (Hence Lucky Dip) but involve enough knowledge to make it so the people who really know what their talking about should win, which I guess is what's happening.

Your first team selection really counts as that's who will pick up the bonus points at the end. It's been so far, a very successful game that we have brought over from Australia, but happy to get any feedback on how we could make it better.

Thanks guys,

Cheers,
Paddy

letsgoup | 12 years ago
0 likes

I like the game as a different easier alternative as you say (as I said before though the road cc game is good for the opposite reason of involving more tactics). The display and format is very good but the most annoying thing is that the league does not update at the same time as your score and nobody knows who was the best team of the day or week (who is winning the prizes) as these leagues don't update at all  7

Alan Tullett | 12 years ago
0 likes

You can only see the top twenty teams and if you picked riders who've gone out due to crashes it brings in a lot of luck with the final bonus points, (I've lost 3 which ruins my chances of anything). With transfers every day that can be dealt with in the road cc game. But I'm doing ok at it, about 130th last time I looked after my bonus stage on which I got 300 points! 3rd in the road cc league.

The road cc game though really makes you think about so many different aspects of cycling. It really does my head in!! Congrats to Dave for inventing it. Having to have 4 DSs is a masterstroke. My knowledge of cycling has probably gone up 10 times by playing it and it makes every aspect of the race interesting. I even care about intermediate sprint points, for God's sake!

thefatcyclist | 12 years ago
0 likes

It's crap, impersonal, has no discussion forum, is impossible to see how you did on a stage. Innacurate, stage 18 it said i had gotten no points, well I think A Schleck won for starters. Difficult to find riders, if I was garmin I would dissacociate myself. Position listed in mini league doesn't match the main league. The only good thing, the points per rider was obviously made up by a casual cycling observer, and there are bargains to be had. Who won all these prizes??? etc etc etc.
This here league is by far the best I have played and I have played several.

dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes

I ended up 6403rd. How did everyone else do?

sanderville | 12 years ago
0 likes

Last night on the RCUK game it said I was ranked 771st, today I'm 919th. Have I missed a few bonus stages?

Halfords final rank: 4210 (or is it?), best rank: 2

As for this game, I retract what I said about letting us choose whomever we like. However, I do think we should be able to make changes in advance. E.g. I should be able to set my changes for stage 3 while stage 2 is still on, just in case I forget during the window (like I forgot to change for the ITT). It's my hard lines if my picks don't actually ride the next day.

Timbo13 replied to sanderville | 12 years ago
0 likes
Sanderville wrote:

Last night on the RCUK game it said I was ranked 771st, today I'm 919th. Have I missed a few bonus stages?

Halfords final rank: 4210 (or is it?), best rank: 2

As for this game, I retract what I said about letting us choose whomever we like. However, I do think we should be able to make changes in advance. E.g. I should be able to set my changes for stage 3 while stage 2 is still on, just in case I forget during the window (like I forgot to change for the ITT). It's my hard lines if my picks don't actually ride the next day.

96th overall on the Halfords game, 2nd in the road.cc ex-pats league behind Gmancervelo. Still no idea who the winners are, mind.
I think everyone officially has a best rank of 2 (except for their sample team, which was ranked 1st), but that only applied before the TdF started.

drheaton replied to sanderville | 12 years ago
0 likes
Sanderville wrote:

I like the idea of making changes in advance but how about instead you 'schedule' changes (pick changes in advance and the game automatically makes them after a stage) or even let us reset our changes whilst still in the transfer window so, for instance, I might have a couple of changes in mind for the next stage but I'm not 100% sure so I make them so I don't forget to make any changes at all (like I did on the last two days of the TdF  2 ) then when I get into work the next morning I have the option to reset them and then make new ones if I want to. If I don't reset them then whatever is in place at 11am is taken as the changes and are enacted.

More work I know but good functionality and may cut down on the number of times someone makes rubbish/illegal changes and has to ask dave to reset everything.

TERatcliffe26 | 12 years ago
0 likes

i came 330th i believe so not too bad tbh

Pages

Latest Comments