Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

relatively light wheels for under £200, do they exist?

ive been looking around for a while about upgrading my nondescript wheels for something lighter and shinier but only have around £200.
please could you tell me if it can be done and with what or do I need to look a bit higher up the price range?

Thanks
Alex

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

phax71 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Braccianos for me too, I brought a set offa Ebay for around £200 a few months back and am VERY happy with them ...

Ribble occasionally do good deals on them.

alx | 12 years ago
0 likes

decided upon the shiny Mavics so thanks for the advice
people.

cborrman | 12 years ago
0 likes

i am not a fan of fulcrum's as they don't use cartridge bearings (same with shimano) but you cannot argue that they do not look nice  1

i would go with weight tbh, although the other benefit of the mavics is that they are stiff as, which can be fun railing corners!

The _Kaner | 12 years ago
0 likes

Go to Ribble and get Fulcrum 5's..a pair of those and a 105 11-28 cassette cost me €215 all in...

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

I'm now in the same boat Alx since i saw the merlin link, i like the look and spoke layout of the Fulcrum 7's and at that price, i may just replace my wheels  4

alx | 12 years ago
0 likes

i'm undecided between the Planet X Model B wheel set or the mavics or possibly even a pair of fulcrum 7's (mainly cos the look nice) all around the same price point.
are there any reasons why i should go a particular way?

Thanks again

TheHatter | 12 years ago
0 likes

You can get 1400g Pro-lite braccianos on ebay new for around £250 and they have excellent reviews everywhere

alx | 12 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the help, to be a bit clearer i would like a wheels set Sram compatible, as light as possible (although i know my wallet will limit this considerably) and about £150-£200.
which wheel set do you think would fit this?

thanks for the patience
any help will be gratefully received as I am not very knowledgeable about this stuff.

cborrman replied to alx | 12 years ago
0 likes

for me you have two options:

1) mavics, from merlin as posted already, or

2) I saw these on planet-x when I bought some wheels recently:

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WPPXMODELB/planet-x-model-b-wheelset

they come with the same hubs as the more expensive wheels I bought but the hubs are v smooth bearings and the rear makes the noise of my more expensive mavic/dt swiss hubs!

tese keep you around 1600g for this price, the rest are 1800-1900+ from what I saw when I looked recently

cborrman replied to alx | 12 years ago
0 likes

for me you have two options:

1) mavics, from merlin as posted already, or

2) I saw these on planet-x when I bought some wheels recently:

(link is in a queue for road cc to look at, but is the series "B" wheelset under wheels, tri and road wheels at £130 or so)

they come with the same hubs as the more expensive wheels I bought and the hubs are v smooth bearings and the rear makes the noise of my more expensive mavic/dt swiss hubs!

these keep you around 1600g for this price, the rest are 1800-1900+ from what I saw when I looked recently

Trev Allen | 12 years ago
0 likes

You have a whole bunch of options here

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/Wheels/Road+Wheels/Factory+Road+...

As much as I don't think Merlins price shagger attitude is positive in the long run for us consumers it sure is tempting

From personal experience the RS30, Kysirium or the Ultegras (should you have a few extra quids) are worth looking at

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Latest Comments