Home

ive been looking around for a while about upgrading my nondescript wheels for something lighter and shinier but only have around £200.
please could you tell me if it can be done and with what or do I need to look a bit higher up the price range?

Thanks
Alex

12 comments

Gkam84 [9086 posts] 5 years ago
0 likes
Trev Allen [132 posts] 5 years ago
0 likes

You have a whole bunch of options here

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/Wheels/Road+Wheels/Factory+Road+...

As much as I don't think Merlins price shagger attitude is positive in the long run for us consumers it sure is tempting

From personal experience the RS30, Kysirium or the Ultegras (should you have a few extra quids) are worth looking at

alx [21 posts] 5 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the help, to be a bit clearer i would like a wheels set Sram compatible, as light as possible (although i know my wallet will limit this considerably) and about £150-£200.
which wheel set do you think would fit this?

thanks for the patience
any help will be gratefully received as I am not very knowledgeable about this stuff.

cborrman [85 posts] 5 years ago
0 likes

for me you have two options:

1) mavics, from merlin as posted already, or

2) I saw these on planet-x when I bought some wheels recently:

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WPPXMODELB/planet-x-model-b-wheelset

they come with the same hubs as the more expensive wheels I bought but the hubs are v smooth bearings and the rear makes the noise of my more expensive mavic/dt swiss hubs!

tese keep you around 1600g for this price, the rest are 1800-1900+ from what I saw when I looked recently

0 likes

for me you have two options:

1) mavics, from merlin as posted already, or

2) I saw these on planet-x when I bought some wheels recently:

(link is in a queue for road cc to look at, but is the series "B" wheelset under wheels, tri and road wheels at £130 or so)

they come with the same hubs as the more expensive wheels I bought and the hubs are v smooth bearings and the rear makes the noise of my more expensive mavic/dt swiss hubs!

these keep you around 1600g for this price, the rest are 1800-1900+ from what I saw when I looked recently

TheHatter [770 posts] 5 years ago
0 likes

You can get 1400g Pro-lite braccianos on ebay new for around £250 and they have excellent reviews everywhere

0 likes

i'm undecided between the Planet X Model B wheel set or the mavics or possibly even a pair of fulcrum 7's (mainly cos the look nice) all around the same price point.
are there any reasons why i should go a particular way?

Thanks again

Gkam84 [9086 posts] 5 years ago
0 likes

I'm now in the same boat Alx since i saw the merlin link, i like the look and spoke layout of the Fulcrum 7's and at that price, i may just replace my wheels  4

The _Kaner [770 posts] 5 years ago
0 likes

Go to Ribble and get Fulcrum 5's..a pair of those and a 105 11-28 cassette cost me €215 all in...

0 likes

i am not a fan of fulcrum's as they don't use cartridge bearings (same with shimano) but you cannot argue that they do not look nice  1

i would go with weight tbh, although the other benefit of the mavics is that they are stiff as, which can be fun railing corners!

0 likes

decided upon the shiny Mavics so thanks for the advice
people.

phax71 [287 posts] 5 years ago
0 likes

Braccianos for me too, I brought a set offa Ebay for around £200 a few months back and am VERY happy with them ...

Ribble occasionally do good deals on them.