Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Transfers for tomorrow

Was transferring out Cunego and putting in Leipheimer a wise move or a big risk?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

18 comments

thefatcyclist | 12 years ago
0 likes

It's easy to get tied up in the leaders of the race, rather than playing to maximise points, I think that is my weakness in these things. It might be better to have concentrated on those having to ride to make a podium.

Timbo13 | 12 years ago
0 likes

It's all about risk so close to the end and with the TdF reset looming. I've bounced between 36 and 40 all through the TdS. I need something decisive to try and steal a march. Time to roll the bones.

KirinChris | 12 years ago
0 likes

Got to be a risk... Cunego is in the box seat for the overall so they are virtually guaranteed points.

There are several others who could do well in the TT to maximise the points possibilities.

If you've already got Cunego I think you could gain more than the difference between him and Leipheimer by using that transfer elsewhere.

TERatcliffe26 replied to KirinChris | 12 years ago
0 likes
abudhabiChris wrote:

Got to be a risk... Cunego is in the box seat for the overall so they are virtually guaranteed points.

There are several others who could do well in the TT to maximise the points possibilities.

If you've already got Cunego I think you could gain more than the difference between him and Leipheimer by using that transfer elsewhere.

Yeh i see what your saying, and if levi finishes inside the top 10 he will out score cunego for the stage if cunego is outside the top 20 which is likely.

As for maximizing opportunities, its not that simple imo, as without actually counting, 75% of the top 20 finishes in the time trial from last year came from either the GC or the Allrounder category and we only get three riders from there. and i have already got the guy from the domestitiques in my team that i think will be in the top 20, as well as the one climber and sprinter that i believe may make the top 20.

So yeh ive made a risk, but not the biggest risk. surely so long as both cunego and levi time trial to there normal ability i cant see cunego getting more points and if he does it will only be one or two, whereas levi could outscore cunego by 7 or 8 if he is on form

Anyway thats what the game is a about, judgement and risk vs reward. i guess we shall see later

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Yeah i think everyone in the Leopard team can TT after getting alot of help from Cancellara, except Voigt, he's the only one i would not have picked out from their squad, he's just a power house, but will trundle across the line

stewieatb replied to Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Mwahahah. Lack of research is apparent.

TERatcliffe26 | 12 years ago
0 likes

yes monfort can time trial. came 8th in the TT last year, fuglsang is another that can

stewieatb | 12 years ago
0 likes

Had to put Jens Voigt in, in order to afford Cancellara without losing any of my GC guys. Now somebody please tell me that Monfort and Marcato can't TT.

Gkam84 replied to stewieatb | 12 years ago
0 likes
stewieatb wrote:

Had to put Jens Voigt in, in order to afford Cancellara without losing any of my GC guys. Now somebody please tell me that Monfort and Marcato can't TT.

So the fact that Monfort came 13th and Marcato came 27th in the opening TT wont be a help

Why did you not pick Gerdemann? He's in the same team and came 10th

Where as Voigt has done a huge job for the last couple of stages and only came 44th

0 likes

yeh with me before today i had fuglsang and f schleck and decided sagan for schleck, then cancellara for sagan as fuglsang can time trial better than schleck for me so more potential points. i guess we shall see after tomorrow

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

The problem i had was should i switch Frank Schleck for Sagan, he came 3rd in 1st stage, so made me think, but then after my mess i made today, i thought its a safe bet for Cancellara to win, so Schleck will get some GC points and 5 for the win of his team mate

Thats why i took hondo out for sutton, cause on his day he can trail well  7

0 likes

well mine are leipheimer for cunego and cancellara for sagan

It was tough choice and what your saying Gkam is what made the decision tough. but reckon cunego will finish outside the top 20, so will earn 15 points from gc etc. Therefore if leipheimer finishes in the top 11 will score at least that amount of points which i think is a distinct possibility

rbx replied to TERatcliffe26 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Interesting to see someone made exactly the same transfers as me. Unfortunately, I'll be winning half the points as you since I'm still carrying deadwood from Dauphine in my team  2

Gkam84 replied to rbx | 12 years ago
0 likes
rbx wrote:

Interesting to see someone made exactly the same transfers as me. Unfortunately, I'll be winning half the points as you since I'm still carrying deadwood from Dauphine in my team  2

Serious? you've had almost a week, 2 transfers a day to get rid of the DL team  26

rbx replied to Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:
rbx wrote:

Serious? you've had almost a week, 2 transfers a day to get rid of the DL team  26

Yup, thanks to certain social obligations, missed out on making any transfers on one of the 4 transfers days and on a regular 2 trfrs day. Then had to use a transfer to swap Soler out after he crashed.

Other days had to swap between sprinters & climbers ... just never got going...  2

Anyway, got close to competitive with a 98 on stage 8. Hopefully, today won't be too bad either despite only 7 riders in race.

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Made mine already

Christopher SUTTON in for Danilo HONDO
Fabian CANCELLARA in for Tom BOONEN

Not changing out Cunego because i think he's got overall wrapped up, i think he'll earn more points having the GC points aswell

Wig_Billy | 12 years ago
0 likes

Shhh...  3

onlyonediane | 12 years ago
0 likes

Leipheimer can time trial, so may be a good swap?

Latest Comments