Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cannondale Synapse 105 2011

Hi,

I'm a relatively newb to the road cycles scene and am looking to pick up my first road bike, with a view to riding a few sportives, few long solo rides without unduly bothering my fickle back.

I'd shortlisted the Specialized Secteur Comp (GBP 1350) but the colour scheme (along with a mild preference for triple over compact) on 2011 model has been keeping me from buying it.

Recently I came across the Cannondale Synapse (GBP 999) and from first viewing it seems to have similar specs to the Secteur Comp - both have alu frame, carbon forks & seat stays, 105 groupset.

Of course, there are differences in zertz inserts, wheels and brakes but I still can't find enough to justify a 35% premium for the Secteur. Wondering if anyone here has the inside info on the big gap in prices.

Many thanks!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

rbx | 12 years ago
0 likes

Thanks all for the feedback.

@Gepin : Did look at both the Felts but they seemed more oriented towards races and fast club rides. Not sure they'll be as comfortable on long-ish solo rides. I like the triple over compact/double as I hate shifting the front ring except on sharp uphills/downhills. For the vast majority of my rides, I prefer to just stay in the versatile middle ring on front while shifting on back according to the terrain / speed.

@TheBigMong : Yup, the Synapse is top of my list as well now. Just been unsure how have the Specialized been justifying the big premium on Secteur Comp. Unfortunately, the Synapse is proving hard to get my hands on. There seems to be limited supply and a huge demand from all over.

@boffo : Looked it up and liked it. Along with Genesis Equilibrium, it is now 2nd on my list after Synapse. Shall probably be going to check it out at the Condor shop this week. Thanks for the HT!

Cheers!

boffo | 12 years ago
0 likes

Condor fratello, check em out. bought one just over a year ago and its damn near perfect for every thing except time trials and real fast racing, pacey club runs are no trouble.

TheBigMong | 12 years ago
0 likes

No inside info here, but I know I'm not alone when I question whether those inserts on the Specialized bikes are anything other than marketing hype. I certainly wouldn't use them as any sort of justification for a premium price. Find a Synapse to ride and let your butt be the judge.

If I were buying new, the Synapse would be high on my list. The reviews (both professional and user-submitted) have been very good, and the price-performance ratio is pretty darn sweet.

Gepin | 12 years ago
0 likes

Have you looked at the Felt F85? I have even seen the F75 for under 1000 GBP if you look... Both these have compact groupsets but why have a triple??? Even most Mountain bikes are now running 2 rings up front!

the_mikey | 12 years ago
0 likes

I have no useful input to this other that suggest to try the bikes for youself before buying. If you want to listen to unreasoned opinion: I'd choose cannondale.

rbx replied to the_mikey | 12 years ago
0 likes

I've tried the Secteur and liked it. Unfortunately, the Synapse has been harder to locate, so still waiting to try.

Meanwhile, just wondering what is contributing to the 350 quid price difference. Is it just the cost of sponsoring half the pro peloton or something more?

Latest Comments