Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Has the Giro lost a bit of lustre..?

This has been a weird and difficult couple of weeks for the Giro and I wonder if some damage has been done in how the events have panned out.

I am, of course, talking about the death of Wouter Weylandt and how his passing affected riders, team officials and fans.

Although unrelated, the timing of Xavier Tondo's passing has added to the feeling.

After the route was altered on Sunday for safety I wonder if we will see less of the unmade roads and super steep climbs in the race in future.

What does everyone think?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

James Warrener | 12 years ago
0 likes

Good point. When the Eurosport commentators mentioned the fact that 2nd on the road might win the race in the court room I was horrified.

miffed | 12 years ago
0 likes

Grand tours are always flat when one rider steals the show. The problem with this giro is the first week was in mourning and the last two are pretty much all mountains but with the race almost certainly decided already. If the organisers had included a couple of sprints this week and a couple of small hill finihes suited to the punch attacking riders there might be more interest.

There's especially a bitter taste about this giro, due to the CAS hearing hanging over contador.

Latest Comments