Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Somthing I noticed when riding yesterday

When doing the Highclere ride yesterday I found that I was scrunching up my toes when pedalling...I would actively think about stretching my feet out but then 5 minutes later Id be doing the scrunched up thing again. It was very wierd, my shoes fit fine but Im wondering if my cleat position could be out.

Any thoughts?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

DaSy | 15 years ago
0 likes

If you watch a range of the ProTour riders, you notice that there are a lot of differing pedal techniques.

Some ride toe down some flat all the way through the stroke, and some ankle quite a bit.

I think much depends on what feels right for you and your own physiology, some have more flexible ankles than others etc.

Jon Burrage | 15 years ago
0 likes

I will try that. I have watched the protour guys on tv and can see the way their feet and ankles move is wildly different to mine and have tried to mimic this but like you say it takes time and even then it doesnt necessarily click.

thebikeboy | 15 years ago
0 likes

I try to point my toes down at the bottom of the pedal stroke and scoop it though - it seems to give me a bit more power especially on hills - think it's called 'ankling'. I've been trying to make it a unconscious part of the way I ride for years - still haven't managed it yet though riding singlespeed does make it come more naturally.

Tell us more about subconscious regulation theory…

narch | 15 years ago
0 likes

I have had to make a conscious effort to keep my heels down as tend to drift to pointing toes down as well - it should be more efficient is my understanding. Toes never misbehave though, although I like the 'subconscious regulation' theory.

gandberg | 15 years ago
0 likes

Interesting. I don't scrunch my toes, but I've noticed sometimes I point my toes down (heel up) and others my feet are level or heel downwards. Am I special?

0 likes

Yes I could be...must relax more!

VecchioJo | 15 years ago
0 likes

i scrunch my toes up on the bike when i'm concentrating and have to continually tell myself to stop doing it, could you be doing the same?

0 likes

DaSy, yes it was a bit more obvious in the bunch but I was doing it when riding along with Dave as well. The "you're too far back, pull up" when I was 10" behind the next guy did get my nerves jangling a bit so that could be a cause.

TRs Blurb n Blog | 15 years ago
0 likes

The toes on my right foot scrunch up when I walk and when I cycle but that is due to a damaged nerve down my right leg.

DaSy | 15 years ago
0 likes

Jon, was this when you were riding in the bunch?

I used to do something similar when I first started riding the pacelines at the track, I was subconsciously trying to regulate my distance from the rider in front by kind of pulling back my feet whilst still pedaling. All the time being told that the 10 inch gap I was holding at 35-40mph was too much!

0 likes

no, I havnt had anything like that. It was just a bit odd and I havnt a clue about why I would be doing it!

thebikeboy | 15 years ago
0 likes

Do you get hot spots in your feet on long rides?

Latest Comments