Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Any lid reccommendations?

Hi All,

I'm about to start making more of an effort on my commute, which means some faster (=more dangerous) roads, so am going to put my current lidless mode on hold.

Not to mention that the missus seems happier when I cycle with a helmet ...

Anyways, perusing Wiggle's offer, I saw some nice looking helmets, but have no idea which ones are comfiest - or whether a more skateboard-y type one is just as functional and manages to look less like a lid.

(I'm not exactly going to be commuting on a fancy carbon road bike, so it doesn't have to be a piece of ultra-light, full-vented heaven!)

Thanks,

Tim.

(Budget is up to £75, btw.)

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

carl simpson | 12 years ago
0 likes

i just bought this .. as i was in the same predicament

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=21368&categoryI...

specialized echelon for £42.49

PJ McNally | 12 years ago
0 likes

Giro Skyline gets my vote. Available online for under £20.

TheHatter | 12 years ago
0 likes

Just took delivery of a Ekoi Diablo. Nicely finished and looks good. Really well vented and light. Much better than my old Giro Monza.

Stephanos | 12 years ago
0 likes

I use a Rudy Project Zuma and it's very comfy. Looks good as well without being over the top.

timlennon | 12 years ago
0 likes

Huge thanks to everyone for the advice. I've actually acquired a Las Victory. Was a bit over the budget, but is far and away the most comfortable lid I've ever had - basically forgot I was wearing anything.

The Good Shepherd | 12 years ago
0 likes

Specialized Echelon. Great lid at a great price. Comfy, too. Definitely worth a look.

boffo | 12 years ago
0 likes

Don't buy one just because somebody tells you theirs is really great, its all about the fit. Try as many on as you can and it soon becomes apparent which ones suits. Also if your uping your game on the commute venting will be an issue. If the helmet annoys you, you won't wear it, go with the vents and lightweight.

SPAM Naval | 12 years ago
0 likes

i'm also a recent convert to Kask helmets (K-50)from Bell previously. No comparision, Kask is sooooo much more comfortable and the adjustment system works really well

dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes

+1 for the Vertigo being a comfy lid. it manages to be comfy and very secure. i'm a big fan of LAS lids too.

cat1commuter | 12 years ago
0 likes

I have a Kask Vertigo C-50 like wot Team Sky use. Easily the most comfortable I've ever worn, thanks to the leathery chin strap cover and hinged retention system at the back.

timlennon | 12 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, was at the local fair at the weekend and tried to find nice way to tell one doting Dad 'those children's helmets have been fitted really badly' - sat back with loads of slack under the chin. Luckily he took it really well, though!

Am liking the sound of the fit people are getting with these - checking it out later this week!

mr-andrew | 12 years ago
0 likes

I'd be careful of just getting one to re-assure. Make damn sure the thing fits properly, or you could end up doing more harm than good.

Fringe | 12 years ago
0 likes

i've got a LAS helmet also (victory), best fitting helmet ive ever had.. they also do a 'commuter' style lid as well as the more racy ones

http://www.lashelmets.com/en/catalog/esprit-2-silverwhiteblack.html

Gregoire500 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Just took delivery of a LAS Squalo today as a replacement for a Giro Atmos.

MUCH comfier, cheaper, and looks good too. Review in the tech section here if that hasn't sold it to you!  3

Still, helmets are little protection against a 1 ton automobile moving at speed so no substitute for care and attention on those roads mate-take care!

timlennon replied to Gregoire500 | 12 years ago
0 likes
Gregor500 wrote:

Still, helmets are little protection against a 1 ton automobile moving at speed so no substitute for care and attention on those roads mate-take care!

Very true - am partly making the effort to re-assure my missus, but will also have to remember more road craft than the current rididculously easy commute requires!

Latest Comments