Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

best cycling apps

What would you guys 'n' gals recommend as the best apps on the Android market for cycling?

What are they?
What do they do?
How much?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

georgeince | 12 years ago
0 likes

sports tracker, i used to use endomondo but this is sooo much better, you can use it for everything  4 oh and its free

Super Domestique | 12 years ago
0 likes

Excellent feedback. What about any non-gps/route ones though?

joemmo | 12 years ago
0 likes

for ride tracking and stats, Endomondo or MyTracks depednding on whether you care about 'sharing' or prefer integration with Google docs.

For offline mapping, Locus (free and Pro on android) lets you download various open source tiled map formats to your sd card for an area of your choosing.

There's also BikeHub which uses the opencycle maps

@cooks - the inaccurate altitude tracking may be down more to your GPS receiver than the software. Depends if the app takes the GPS height data - which will be a bit wooly - or extracts it from contour data on the map - which would be more accurate. My bet is on the former.

joe

James Warrener | 12 years ago
0 likes

I used ridewithgps for a while and that was a good site.

Garmin Connect for me now though, brilliant product.

Cooks | 12 years ago
0 likes

+another for endemondo. Although I'm not entirley convinced that their altitude tracking is accurate... For example doing the same run twice gives you different altitude profiles.

Still tho, other than that I can't fault it.

PJ McNally | 12 years ago
0 likes

Oh, Mapdroid for offline maps - really important when abroad, no data connection, just need a gps fix on a map etc.

Here in Sri Lanka, the maps are a bit ropey outside of Colombo - but the app is great.

and FYI - GPS works in flight mode. Which is cool.

PJ McNally | 12 years ago
0 likes

+1 for Endomondo. It's free, stable, loads of features, good tracking and auto pause, facebook integration if that's your thing etc.

I use it so much I forked out for the paid version, not because it has loads of extra features (it doesn't, they're very generous with the free version), but just to give them a bit of support!

SoTyred | 12 years ago
0 likes

I would recommend you try this (it's free). The PC version is excellent, allowing routes to be downloaded to a Garmin or other GPX device. I haven't tried the mobile version yet but the screen shots look pretty good.

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

I use http://www.endomondo.com/ just because its one of the best free apps out there whether on idevice, android or Symbian

You also get a social aspect to it, post to facebook and twitter, plus at your friends on there and compare things, gives you a read out on the site of distance, time, avg mph and others, plus a map of where you have been

dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes

endomondo (www.endomondo.com) is great as a simple ride tracker. the standard version is free.

i use Viewranger (www.viewranger.com) for OS mapping, you can get a PAYG bundle for about £15 where you download the maps you need. it also supports opencyclemap.

niceguysean@gma... | 12 years ago
0 likes

I use the MapMyTracks app, which is free, to record my rides, and then post them to the website (www.mapmytracks.com/)to save them.

The app is nice and easy to use. It can record distance, elevation, speed, pace, calories. You can share on Twitter and Facebook.

Latest Comments