Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

10 Fred Whittons in 10 Days

Starting on Friday 13th May, I'll be riding the Fred course once a day for 10 days  1
What could be better? 10 days cycling around Lakeland....
Well... it did seem like a good idea at the time  39

Why?
Partly because I want to, and it's a worthy challenge;
Mostly to raise funds for Macmillan Cancer Support
http://www.justgiving.com/Leon10FW

Now - here's the fun bit!  4

Anyone who wants to come and ride all or part of the route with me on any of the days is more than welcome just ping me an email at 10FW [at] faster-feet.com
I'll be leaving from Hills Garage in Coniston - so that I can use the 4 Seasons timing cards - each morning at 6am.

If folk are interested in my progress, I'll update this thread, and I'll write up each day more fully on my blog
http://10fw-in-10.blogspot.com/

Cheers

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

47 comments

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Oh i see, i didn't realise you were using the sportident timing aswell

Is it set up all year or just because the Whitton has just taken place and they left it for your timing?

Mr_eL_Bee replied to Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

Oh i see, i didn't realise you were using the sportident timing aswell

Is it set up all year or just because the Whitton has just taken place and they left it for your timing?

It's there all year - you can get the timing card off Paul, the guy who organises the FW

Dave - it was pretty harsh today!!!

I've written a long report about my adventure today on my 10FW-in-10 blogspot site
I stopped short of calling the MRT on Wrynose...... just  3

Mr_eL_Bee | 12 years ago
0 likes

Cheers  1
I'm doing it the same way each day, The SportIdent timing system is set up that way, and I want a record other than my Garmin one of the 10 days  1

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Nice work, are you doing the same route each day? or are you going one way and then back the reverse the next?

Mr_eL_Bee | 12 years ago
0 likes
Mr_eL_Bee | 12 years ago
0 likes

OK - 2 done, 8 to go  1
Day 1 was ridden with a friend and took 10:29
LOVED the ride, and especially the climbs

Today I was pretty much alone apart from the Keswick-Borrowdale-top of Honister section where a local rider joined me.

I'm using a phone basd GPS tracking (which has a few blackspots, it being the Lakes) if anyone fancies following my progress.

I'll put it in the next post!

Mr_eL_Bee | 12 years ago
0 likes

It seems that word is getting round, and I now have a couple more people interested in coming along for the ride.  4
This is Most Excellent!

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Its interesting viewing the times http://www.fredwhittonchallenge.org.uk/Results.php

3rd and 4th home managed to lose 2 mins on every check point, kept a steady pace and the you look down a few the people who went out a little bit quick and suffered at the end

Then you scroll right down and see 4 guys who only made the 1st check point as those up top were finishing

I dont suppose you know how many non finishers there were Dave?

dave atkinson replied to Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

Its interesting viewing the times http://www.fredwhittonchallenge.org.uk/Results.php

I dont suppose you know how many non finishers there were Dave?

8:34 is respectable mid table, it seems - better than the mediocre two-thirds down the field i usually manage  1

there were 89 DNFs according to Saddleback: 1223 started, 1134 finished

Mr_eL_Bee | 12 years ago
0 likes

4 LOL - I think not!!

dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes

or you could aim for the 6:05 the first man home managed  4

Gkam84 replied to dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes
dave_atkinson wrote:

or you could aim for the 6:05 the first man home managed  4

Was his name Mr T Boonen, lol

Thats going at some lick for the course

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Come on, one of the days, you have to bury yourself and beat the 8.34 hours that dave did at the weekend  4

Mr_eL_Bee replied to Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

Come on, one of the days, you have to bury yourself and beat the 8.34 hours that dave did at the weekend  4

If all goes well, and my experience of other multi-day endurance events are anything to go by, I'll be looking at a quick one later on!  3
It'll be interesting to see what time I can churn out at some point!
Hmmmm 8:34, eh..?  19

0 likes

by the way, what kind of finishing time are you aiming for each day? just people will have an idea if they'll be able to keep up...  1

Mr_eL_Bee replied to dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes
dave_atkinson wrote:

by the way, what kind of finishing time are you aiming for each day? just people will have an idea if they'll be able to keep up...  1

Cheers Dave,
I rode the Lakeland Loop at 8-hour pace for the Fred - and seeing as THAT was 40 miles shorter and about 1000m less climbing - for the first couple of days I'm going to be aiming for more like 9-9½ hours.

A lot depends on the weather, of course!!  1

0 likes

Having just done one fred whitton in one day, and finished in pieces, i can only say chapeau and wish you all the best, leon! you're clearly insane.

Pages

Latest Comments