Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Jeremy Clarkson

From reading the motoring section in The Sunday Times this weekend I see that my personal hate figure Jeremy (potato face) Clarkson has admitted riding a bicycle. he ranted on an on (and on and on and on) about struggling with a cycle carrier for one of his many cars. He also admitted ridng very slowly in comparison with his wife, who is known to be more used to being on two wheels. It was something to do with charity of course and was out in the country so he still has no comprehension of how damaging his oafish comments have been for cycle commuters and has not had to cope with aggressive and incomepetent drivers breaking the rules and then blaming this on him for not driving a car.

I still loathe him.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

19 comments

OldRidgeback | 12 years ago
0 likes

Jeremy Clarkson says he has not been cheating on his wife (again) despite what the rumour mill says via the Twitter network. His wife confirmed the denial as she drove off in her cabriolet with a male friend. He has moved into an unfurnished flat in London and has also complained about having so many possessions. Perhaps if he sold his many cars and took up cycling he'd be leaner and fitter too.

''I am not a saint,'' Top Gear star admits after moving into flat.

ride4 | 12 years ago
0 likes

He's also been cheating on his car. Allegedly  4

http://www.goinggoingbike.com/blog/the-real-jeremy-clarkson-super-injunc...

Definitely dislike him less than Piers Morgan though. At least he seems to be vaguely self-aware.

0 likes

On balance I dislike Piers Morgan less than Jeremy Clarkson.

PJ McNally | 12 years ago
0 likes

A no-platform-policy for JC, perhaps? Could be a good idea - but the beeb will never agree.

Simon - currently in Sri Lanka, biking at weekends, but will look you up when I'm back!

Bikeylikey | 12 years ago
0 likes

Of course there are a lot of far more important issues to discuss than JC's dumbing down effects on the culture of this country. But that doesn't mean it's not worth discussing them at all, ever.

The bloke is dangerous because his knee-jerk comments come from the primitive, ape part of the brain, and yet he is listened to because of his job as a t.v.presenter and journalist, and he is listened to and sniggered along with by the other apes out there. This means that his dim attitudes reinforce and give validity to similar dimwittedness elsewhere in the population. They then think they're a gang. They have a voice, JCs voice. He even publishes books full of this ideological junk, which, astonishingly, a lot of people, his gang, buy.

This child-bloke is a retrogressive and depressing infuence on our society, and should not be given such a voice.

Simon_MacMichael | 12 years ago
0 likes

PJ - feel free to ask away, click on my name below comment and you can email me. Tend to head West rather than East from here so don't know Banbury area too well. Definitely recommend the Old Mill Cafe in Chipping Norton, very popular with cyclists and used as a checkpoint on audax rides. Nice cakes too  4

0 likes

You missed out point no4 - that she is still married to a bigoted oaf despite the fact that he cheated on her and then punched Piers Morgan for revealing said fact.

IOM Paddy replied to OldRidgeback | 12 years ago
0 likes

OldRidgeback your right - but anyone that chins Piers Morgan can't be all bad?

giff77 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Yep, Clarkson's an opinionated oaf! I wonder if his wife receives the same verbal abuse whenever she heads out on her bike? In regards to improved vehicle standards - yes, but for the driver and occupants only. Sadly vehicles have become larger, heavier and faster over the years lulling the driver into a false sense of security as he/she is cocooned in their steel cage and enouraged by Clarkson et al to go faster (when has anyone heard the tv motoring programmes actively encourage keeping speed limits) IMHO

IOM Paddy replied to giff77 | 12 years ago
0 likes

41 Mrs Clarkson is a saint - fact.

1. She is married to JC
2. She rides a bike
3. She is from The Isle of Man

These 3 facts = Mrs C is a saint and her husband is still a panto bell end.

0 likes

It's true. There are worse things happening in the world. The state of things in Libya or Pakistan for example gives somewhat more cause for concern on an international level.

Did he raise the standard of the average car? Err, I'd put that one down to the automotive industry. Manufacturing standards have improved somewhat so quality is better for a start. Vehicle occupant safety has improved due to tougher standards set by governments in Japan, South Korea, North America and Europe and not because of him. I think you're overstating the importance of his words on an international level. Car manufacturers don't particularly like him but see him as a necessary irritant and I couldn't care less what spin their PR machines have generated. I don't like him because he's a bigot.

I don't think there's so much harm in having a local punchbag to vent one's spleen against from time to time as long as the comments aren't obscene. And his comments have armed the idiots with some oafish comments that they can and do use against cyclists. And he is such a toad. And I didn't mention his income.

Martin Thomas | 12 years ago
0 likes

Some fair points there cborrman - I salute Clarkson's sterling efforts on raising the standard of average cars. But let's not describe him as a campaigner for cyclists just yet eh? After all, he's spent quite a bit of time slagging us off (http://www.pureclarkson.com/clarkson-on-cyclists/).

And anyway, who said anything about how much money he's got?

cborrman | 12 years ago
0 likes

... clarkson made the world expect our day to days cars like the vectra to not be bad, he continued to do so even when GM, one of the biggest companies in the world thew all their PR weight at him and the only thing he could do is hire a PR company to counter this (we're talking at least tens of thousands of pounds per month) to continue to do so as that is what he believed in... most of the reasons you don't like him is because of the sheer amount of dirt the companies he went after thew up at him... most people would have given up, he didn't and we now have much better cars

...the bicycle industry and the road climate we ride in, as well as off road view of us (even richmond park sees cyclists as second class citizens after walkers, jogggers and dogs being walked) is far from perfect, I can think of nothing better than him campaigning on cyclists behalf... whether I like him as a person or not i could not care less!

cborrman | 12 years ago
0 likes

he is what he is, but his show gets more viewers than pretty much anything the BBC makes, and has done more for the car industry than any one other person or show can claim, so him showing an interest in bike cannot harm in any way...

... there are much more important things to do in the world than bitch about someone you don't like having far much more money than you...

0 likes

He does have a lot of face to stuff and going by his physique, he seems to spend a lot of time doing so.

Nope, I don't loathe him any less. If you read the tags I posted you get what I think of him fairly well.

Simon_MacMichael | 12 years ago
0 likes

I live in the same town as him. Never seen him riding a bike. In fact, I've only seen him once, and he was stuffing his face in a local pub. Mind you, they do good food so I can't blame him for that...  4

PJ McNally replied to Simon_MacMichael | 12 years ago
0 likes

Simon - so you're in Chipping Norton? If so - I start work in Banbury this autumn, must remember to ask you for the insider knowledge of the area. Cafe stops, pubs with good food, that sort of thing.

+1 for disliking soft doughy-faced people who don't understand bicycles.

My family live in David Cameron's constituency, so I know what it's like.

Martin Thomas | 12 years ago
0 likes

I once went to see Clarkson record an episode of his mercifully short-lived series of chat shows. Before you ask, it was a company team-building thing (don't ask - let's just say it was a contributory factor in my decision to quit).

He was *excruciatingly* unfunny despite having guests of the calibre of PJ O'Rourke on the show to feed off. It was so shockingly bad that the audience started heckling him. One group actually got up and walked out half way through one of the interviews, loudly exclaiming how awful they thought he was. They were quite close to the front so it was impossible to miss what was happening. It was so embarrassing for the dough-faced oaf that I almost felt sorry for him. Only almost though.

Tony Farrelly | 12 years ago
0 likes

Do you loathe him a bit less though?

Latest Comments