Can someone recommend some Panniers?

by BananaDrama   April 12, 2009  

What are a good set of panniers to put on my bike for a bike holiday? I need to stash a couple of weeks worth of kit in them.

5 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

i'd go for dhb marsdens, proper waterproof and only £53 for a pair. better value than ortliebs although the latter are a bit more hard wearing. i know of people who've put soe serious miles into the marsdens though and really like them.

Barry Fry-up's picture

posted by Barry Fry-up [187 posts]
12th April 2009 - 20:41

like this
Like (1)

What rack is best to use with the dhb marsdens? is it worth getting a handlebar bag that just dangles from the bars or get one to fit a front rack?

BananaDrama's picture

posted by BananaDrama [42 posts]
28th April 2009 - 10:09

like this
Like (0)

Any rack should fit them, I'm quite a fan of Blackburn's EX1+ especially now they've beefed it up (review soon).

front luggage: depends on how much you need to carry. Personally I avoid taking front panniers if at all possible and for 2 weeks' riding you shouldn't really need them. a nice roomy bar bag is much better IMO because it means you can keep you camera/phone/cash handy, and easily take them with you if you're off the bike.

Dave Atkinson's picture

posted by Dave Atkinson [7252 posts]
28th April 2009 - 10:15

like this
Like (2)

We have got some Trek/Bontrager panniers and racks coming in next week which look pretty smart.

It's not just about the size of your cog.

TRs Blurb n Blog's picture

posted by TRs Blurb n Blog [270 posts]
1st May 2009 - 18:01

like this
Like (1)

Try the Vaude ones as they appear to be very similar to Ortliebs though £20 or more cheaper.

Hamster's picture

posted by Hamster [72 posts]
17th May 2009 - 17:24

like this
Like (1)