Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

well done Pat McQuaid

Pat McQuaid acting in a sensible maner summing up a difficult situation shock.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/cycling/7993738.stm

I think LA should have known better than to leave the site of a potential drug tester. If he's right and everyone is out to get him he should be whiter than white. Tho the way the AFLD behaved by leaking this is not good. Well done Pat.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

John_the_Monkey | 14 years ago
0 likes

Hmm.

I find it hard to believe that both Bruyneel and Armstrong were unaware of 1) the possibility of unannounced tests whilst in the AFLD's jurisdiction and b) that Armstrong needed to remain within sight of the tester.

Equally, I think the AFLD (if the account given is correct) botched this by a) not insisting that Armstrong remain in sight of the tester and b) noting that there were no irregularities in the conduct of the testing procedure.

The AFLD should publish their paperwork, and if it does (as Armstrong and Bruyneel say) note no irregularities in that test, the matter should be left to rest. Messrs Armstrong and Bruyneel might wish also to acquaint themselves with testing procedures in the areas in which they intend to race and train, to avoid future unpleasantness.

As for McQuaid's statement, I laugh at the thought of the UCI accusing the AFLD of unprofessionalism. The UCI, an organisation that is constantly just about to sort out a blood passport scheme that it's already charged the participating teams for. Feh.

Jon Burrage | 14 years ago
0 likes

I agree exactly Tony. Lance hasnt come back to the sport to dominate and stifle young talent, I actually believe it is to raise the awareness of his Livestrong trust and charitable foundations for cancer support generally. As you say there are a lot of dopers, I just think the french are desperate to catch Armstrong. They welcomed Virenque back with open arms and he was caught red handed so it cant simply be a case of wanting to clean up the sport.

Tony Farrelly | 14 years ago
0 likes

you're definitely right about the link, as to the test neither WADA or the UCI recognise the validity of the hair test. What would it prove if Lance was caught some way down the line? That he was a cheat amongst a lot of other cheats… meanwhile like it or not the Livestrong Foundation contributes a serious amount of money and generates a lot of publicity for the fight against cancer… I'm not sure that's worth flushing to prove that Armstrong doped to beat a load of dopers.

miffed | 14 years ago
0 likes

i think the link is actually http://road.cc/content/news/3489-french-say-lance-armstrong-violated-ant... tony.

I also think that hair is potentially a great method, it provides a method of analysing what subtances have been taken over a long time frame. It would also be harder to fake a hair test as well, unless you use a really convincing wig of cause.

If it helps catch more cheats then im all for it.

Tony Farrelly | 14 years ago
0 likes

Ditto thebikeboy.

As we said yesterday so it has come to pass…

http://road.cc/content/news/3335-friday-schwag-grab-roadcc-jersey#commen...

What did the AFLD expect - Brunyeel was on the phone to Pat McQuaid at the time they were trying to take the test - I'm Lance neutral (my this fence is comfy) but leaking this, plus going for the hair sample does make it look more like a personal vendetta than a rational, scientific, and fair testing programme.

thebikeboy | 14 years ago
0 likes

Heh, a Pat McQuaid first! I agreee with him. I'm not a big Armstrong fan, but the way the AFLD is acting makes it look like they ARE out to get him.

Latest Comments