Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Training hill near Taunton

Moving to Taunton in a month and wondered if anyone knew a good training hill near to the town, something over 1.5km long with an average of 7-8% would be ideal. Cheers  4

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

narch | 14 years ago
0 likes

Thanks, sponging - looking forward to sampling them on my MTB but planning a majorly road based year ahead, until Winter that is.

sponging-machine | 14 years ago
0 likes

If you fancy something a bit different, the Quantocks are just a couple of miles from Taunton and have some of the best mtb trails in the UK.

narch | 14 years ago
0 likes

Thanks, that's pointed me in the right direction. I think if I've done the maths right Old Combe Hill just to the east of Blagdon is about 1250m with an average of 7.5% and looks like it could be a nice circular hill train. Loads to explore it seems - assuming the missus allows!

Is there a relaxed road club?

dave atkinson | 14 years ago
0 likes

wander out in the direction of Corfe and you can take your pick up to the top of the blackdowns. the B3170 is a bit busy, Blagdon Hill is better. Go further round to the west and the climb up to the Wellington monument is a killer, up to 20% at its steepest. or to the east the Staple Fitzpaine climb is a bit more gradual...
The other way there's a very tough climb north out of Cothelstone and an even harder one out of Elworthy to the top of Exmoor.

You're spolit for choice really  19

Hammy | 14 years ago
0 likes

If memory serves you should find what you're looking for on the run up to the race course - the main road up there is one of those fast single carriiageway A-roads, but some of the roads nearby are quieter.

Latest Comments