Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Ribble or Kinesis?

I'm looking to spend about £300 on a frame and forks. I'll be using the bike for club runs, training rides and maybe the odd sportive.

In the frame are a Ribble Ultralight 7005 and a Kinesis Racelight T2.

I know Ribble gained a bit of a bad reputation a few years ago, are they ok now? Anyone know what the frame is like to ride? The latter goes for the Kinesis too.

I'll be on the largest frame size and weigh about 14.5 stone. I only mention this as the 'Ultralight' tag makes me wonder if this is designed as a one season only bike or if it just a name made to appeal to weight weenies when in fact it isn't that light... or weak etc.

Any help gratefully received.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

joemmo | 12 years ago
0 likes

I built up a T2 a few months ago and am very pleased with it. The geometry is quite sporty with a lowish head tube and long top tube so you can go for a race position or stack a few spacers to lift the bars a bit. It feels pretty responsive and stiff but no less comfortable than my steel frame over rough roads, if anything it's better.

Paintjob is good and much improved in durability over the previous generation kinesises (?) I had to get the BB shell faced and chased but I gather that's not uncommon. Finish wise, no fancy smooth joints but the welds are tidy and I like the classic straight tubes, not a big fan of the over styled hydro formed look.

If you want to save a few bob, look for the Deda Black Rain fork instead of the Kinesis fork, it's about £50 cheaper and does the job. Spend the change on a nice seatpost or bars instead.

robert.brady | 12 years ago
0 likes

I used to have a Ribble 7005 and then stripped all the parts off it to build up a Kinesis RC2.

The Ribble was a nice riding bike - I've still got the frame and will probably build it up again at some point. I think the geometry was done by Terry Dolan and he knows his onions. It's quite racy with a short headtube by today's standards.

The Kinesis is brilliant for the money. Seems outdated now with it's carbon seat stays and alu everything else, but I reckon it would hold it's own against much costlier bikes. A new frame is the last thing on my shopping list.

I'm sure both would be more than strong enough for you.

Hope that helps.

Rob

Fringe | 12 years ago
0 likes

i'd go for the Kinesis myself, had one a few years ago, very nice it was too. never had a ribble but they always seem to pick up good reviews nowadays.

Latest Comments