Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

What bike? Need some advice!

After enjoying cycling for leisure over the last year I have decided to take it seriously, compete in some sportives and possibly join a local club!

Consquently I will need to change my wheels (I am currently riding a Marin Belvedere) but am unsure what to buy!

I wanted to get a carbon road bike, the ribble range stood out for me, but need some advice on the components to buy with it!

Or does anybody know anyother bikes which are a good buy for a newbie? My budget is around £1000.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

g1deonian | 13 years ago
0 likes

Your point about sizing is valid. You should be able to size the frame correctly based on your height but this will not consider your reach, standover and leg measurements. Maybe you could talk to Ribble and give them your reach and inside leg measurements and take their advice. I assume that they could easily change components such as the stem to fit.

I bought my first proper road bike just before xmas and really appreciated the amount of time that the bike shop spent fitting the bike for me. Having said that, I ended up finding a bike that needed nothing more than saddle height adjusted.

With regards the chainset. This depends on you the type of terrain that you usually ride and your level of fitness. If your rides are particularly hilly then consider a triple. I am not particularly fit but get on okay with a compact and 12-27 which gives me enough gears on 15-20% climbs.

Hope this helps.

aarrell | 13 years ago
0 likes

Thanks, yer the sportive blanco has been recieving fantastic reviews, and anything I've read advises at least the shimano 105! Should I get a triple groupset?
Also I'm a bit concerned about ordering it off the Internet without ever seeing or Riding it :s is that an issue? What if it doesn't fit well? I live in NI so it'll be impossible for me to pop over to where they build them and get it fitted like I know others have done!
Anyother ideas anybody?

g1deonian | 13 years ago
0 likes

I think you're on the right lines with the Ribble. In fact the Sportive Bianco has been receiving rave reviews. It is also a bloody nice looking bike.

I would suggest as a minimum to update from Sora to Shimano 105 5700 groupo and then if you have any pennies left think about putting some light hoops in the build.

Alternatively, take a look at the new 2011 Boardmans. They look pretty nice.

Dan

cactuscat | 13 years ago
0 likes

I'd save up an extra £300 and get a Boardman Team Carbon. Job's a good'n.

Jonathan Reeves | 13 years ago
0 likes

Hi,
Just to offer you another option other than a cheapish carbon frame at that price point have a look at the
cannondale synapes 105 for the money, great looking bike, great kit and Cannondale know how what their doing with alloy. http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/122829.html
Also check out Boardman and planet X if you must have carbon. Personally I'd go for the Cannondale without hesitation but they will all put a smile on your face.

worthydolt | 13 years ago
0 likes

If I were starting again i'd buy a cheapish Audax, such as Ribble sell, and ride it a while to figure out what I want from cycling. You then have a competent long-distance, winter training/commuter if you decide to swallow the carbon dream. Or you may decide you have the perfect do-it-all bike and stick with that.

Latest Comments