Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Advice: Audax recommendations for £1200 mark

Hi - I'm looking for advice/recommendations on an 'audax'. By audax I mean a fast-ish bike that can accomodate 25s plus, a rear rack for light loads etc.

I have up to £1,200, but no more. So far I have looked at the Dawes Centurty SE, Ribble Audax, Condor Agio. But would welcome some more experienced advice!

thanks for any thoughts / suggestions
Simon

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

simonpf | 12 years ago
0 likes

wow - I have to say a big thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts on this. I've certainly got more from this than any other place I've sourced advice - it really is aa great community here.

I only wish I had more time to review and test ride - but based on what people have said here, what I've owned in the past, and of the bikes I've test-ridden, I have gone for a 2010 Condor Fratello with 105. Steel is important to me and Condor are also my LBS too so good to support them. Plus it's a fantastic ride and a healthy discount on the original 2010 price or 2011 model.

joemmo | 12 years ago
0 likes

also consider Kinesis Racelight T2 or TK2 - rack and mudguard eyelets, clearance for 28s + full length 'proper' mudguards.

vorsprung | 12 years ago
0 likes

My budget for a new bike for PBP was a little higher than you ("must be less than £2k")

I considered custom steel, Titanium off the pegs and Carbon

In the end I got a Specialized Roubaix with a triple and put hand made wheels on it.

The Specialized Secteur is a great bike with exactly the same geometry. As the Roubaix will take 25mm tyres with Crud Roadracers I'd guess that the Secteur will do the same.
You could even get the Secteur with a carbon rear end within your budget. I doubt that you'd get a Roubaix, but it is not impossible. You could definitely get a second hand one.

Other bikes/frames I considered that would be in your price range are the Tifosi CK7, Ridley Aeron TR and the Giant Defy

x8swift9x | 12 years ago
0 likes

Dolan multicross. Toured france on mine last summer, using it as a CX bike this autumn.

The _Kaner | 12 years ago
0 likes

If going for the likes of a Kona Jake...(extremely cheap for the 2010 model)..factor in changing the P2 fork for something a little more comfortable.perhaps something with disk capability if you have some touring in mind...

handlebarcam | 12 years ago
0 likes

Other options I considered when I was in the market for a similiar bike were the Surly Pacer and the Kinesis Gran Fondo, but in the end I opted for a Genesis Equilibrium. A year and a half later, I am very happy with my choice. I'm not sure if the other two can be bought at complete bikes or not, if that is what you want. The Equilibrium is now available in an even nicer dark red colour, plus a somewhat less distinctive but cheaper black option, and is made of a different, allegedly better grade of steel. Genesis also sell a cheaper aluminium bike/frame called the Aether with, I believe, the same geometry and tyre clearance as the Equilibrium.

Tony Farrelly | 12 years ago
0 likes

Good point Simon, although I'd have to say the Dawes is a fun bike to ride, I didn't spend anything like as much time on our test bike as Rob, but I would have spent a lot more time on it if they hadn't asked for it back  20

simonpf replied to Tony Farrelly | 12 years ago
0 likes

thanks all - appreciate the advice/thoughts.

Going to have some test rides I think...should help my decision making.

(Also considering a 2010 Condor Fratello or Agio - both have separate rear rack mounts which will be good for my purposes.)

Simon E | 12 years ago
0 likes

To be good for Audax rides doesn't mean it can't also be fun.

How about something a bit different e.g. the retro styled Kona Honky Tonk or its disc-equipped sibling Honky Inc?

Or a CX bike, often cited as good all-rounders like the Genesis Croix de Fer, Kona Jake, P-X Uncle John, or even their Kaffenback...?

Genesis road bikes get good reviews, and Ridgeback bikes appear understated but seem well designed.

Rob Simmonds | 12 years ago
0 likes

I can't recommend the Dawes highly enough. Superb bike. So good, I bought one.  4

dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes

in case you haven't seen them on here:

http://road.cc/node/33557 for the dawes
http://road.cc/content/review/6378-condor-agio-tiagra for the condor

I'd add the Genesis Equilibrium into that mix

http://road.cc/content/review/15437-genesis-equilibrium

the dawes and the genesis are both super bikes. the condor's good too

simonpf replied to dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes

great thanks Dave

simonpf replied to simonpf | 12 years ago
0 likes

is the Ribble Audax worth considering or is it not quite up to the mark of the 3 dave mentions above? thanks

dave atkinson replied to simonpf | 12 years ago
0 likes
simonpf wrote:

is the Ribble Audax worth considering or is it not quite up to the mark of the 3 dave mentions above? thanks

i only didn't mention it because we hadn't tested it...

Latest Comments