Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Panniers and Rear Wheel strength

Hi guys, I'm riding a 3 speed sturmey on a frame with braze-ons, the hub is laced with 24 spokes. I can't remember which rim, but a reasonably priced middle of the road option - all hand built.

I've recently stolen my flatmates rack and panniers for a commuting experiment and loved it, but its just dawned on me that my low-spoke sturmey might not be strong enough!

It's only for commuting rather than touring, so no major loads, no more than a backpack. Do you think the wheel will hold up, or am I about to trash it?

Cheers,

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

davebinks | 13 years ago
0 likes

The spokes material is more important than the hub material, which is almost certainly steel.

If they are stainless steel spokes, I wouldn't worry because they are very tough.
However, if the wheel is old and the spokes are the old "rustless steel" ones, I think you will soon have trouble.

Before St Stl spokes came out, broken spokes were very common. Now they are almost unheard of.

Fishy | 13 years ago
0 likes

Ah apologies, my mistake - Yup the 28 spoke version.

I am pretty light, <70 kilos - and to be honest given that me + backpack wasn't a problem, I'd assumed it'd be fine, but I was wondering if the different weight distribution would make a difference.

Thanks!

dave atkinson | 13 years ago
0 likes

Do they do a 24-spoke version of the three speed? I thought the lowest they went was 28. or is it missing spokes at the hub flange?

How much do you weigh? I'm 99kg and routinely ride a 24-spoke rear over fairly long distances. Assuming you're lighter than me (most cyclists seem to be...) then you plus a pannier is unlikely to break a 24-spoke wheel.

Latest Comments