Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Worrying heart rate

Hi I am concerned at HR of upto 240bpm at the start of ride, also very high at beginning of ride this morning, have been riding for a year having given up the fags & booze 18 months ago - I'm 30.

I am using a Garmin edge 500 has always given reasonably sensible feedback in the past data for the two rides should be below if I can post a link

this moring HR of 210 early on in ride

Does anyone have any experience of this - am I about to have a heart attack or do I just need new batteries for the Garmin?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

thefatcyclist | 13 years ago
0 likes

Borrow somebody elses monitor, and try it, plus wear yours in the house. Get a doc check up it won't hurt, see my thread, "Have I done the right thing."

lazyusername | 13 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for all the comments. Of my last 5 rides I've had a spike of over 220 on 4 of them, only one or two at most and always very early on usually under a mile.

That said I certainly haven't felt as if my HR was that high or indeed high at all, was pottering along chatting and noticed it was in the 230's. For the rest of the ride it settles down to what I would expect

I've been on different routes, including routes which have had no problems of this kind over the past year.

Haven't got a clue what's going on but doesn't appear that I'm about to drop dead on my next ride. I'll see what the Doc says next week and warm up properly before going out

monty dog | 13 years ago
0 likes

I know two people who suffer from tachiocardia where their heartbeat races to about 240 - you'd likely notice if your heart was going this high! interference is your likely cause, but see a doctor if it persists

SideBurn | 13 years ago
0 likes

I have had a similar problem and noticed that my performance also dropped a bit. Discovered from this that I am suffering bouts of SVT (Supra Ventricular Tachycardia) have had to give up coffee! Particularly before exercise. Other than this it does not cause me any problems. You need to find out whether it is interference or cardiac; there are techniques that will stop this arythmia. A visit to a Dr would be advisable.

rch30 | 13 years ago
0 likes

I had 'spikes' in my heart beat records these stopped when I ceased keeping my mobile in my chest pocket of my cycling jersey.

lazyusername | 13 years ago
0 likes

Cheers guys it's back to normal today (bit of extra moisture worked) so panic over - didn't tell me I was an elite athlete like Antonio's Polar though, i'll have to work on that

KirinChris | 13 years ago
0 likes

Yeah I think you would feel some difference if your heart was going at 240 bpm - that's cardiac incident territory.

I get this on my Garmin Edge 500 in winter when you don't start to sweat so quickly (and yes we DO have winter in Abu Dhabi - it gets down to 14 C I'll have you know. Armwarmers and shoe cover time  22 ).

I have two little tricks that seem to overcome it - put a bit of spit on the back of the plastic HR band.

But the best one is that I wear disposable contact lenses and once I've put them in I rub a bit of the saline solution from the pack onto my skin underneath the contact points. Seems to have solved the problem.

cat1commuter | 13 years ago
0 likes

Double check it by counting your pulse for 15 seconds and multiplying by four.

antonio | 13 years ago
0 likes

go for a heart rate specific monitor, polar perhaps, but beware the test at rest function, I'm seventy three and it tells me I'm an elite athlete, just wish I could climb like one.

PJ McNally | 13 years ago
0 likes

Sounds like interference.

Very roughly, a normal max HR is 220 - age, so for you that'd be 190.

To get above that, you'd need to be in an abnormal rhythm - which you'd notice!

The other possibility would be ectopic beats, which are normal! But these are more common at lower HRs, I think. May just be how the garmin responds to it.

It's almost certainly interference, I'd have thought - that's why I still use wired cycle computers.

(Does anyone know of a wired heart monitor? Apart from those we use in hospitals, I mean?).

lazyusername replied to PJ McNally | 13 years ago
0 likes

I think that could well be it. I've recently moved and as such have a different first 3 miles or so at the start. Both rides involved the same first 3-5 miles

Hopefully should happen again tomorrow morning in the same place and I set my mind at rest

Thanks

Pete

dave atkinson | 13 years ago
0 likes

does it happen at the same physical locations each time? if so it's probably some kind of interference.

JK | 13 years ago
0 likes

Have you got the little rubber grommet thing pushed into the USB port?

Mine wasnt last night and the HR was reading 70ish PM too high. Pushed it in and was fine, a bit bizarre.

lazyusername replied to JK | 13 years ago
0 likes

Probably was pushed in as I haven't stopped taping the back up since the winter, I'll double check it before next time out - cheers

Doesn't look like the links worked but basically there were spikes of very high HR at the start of my past two rides just at the start - settled down to what I would expect after that. I definitely didn't feel as if my HR had gone upto 240bpm - I only noticed when I got home and looked at the Garmin

Latest Comments