Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Transfers

So i made my transfer the other day, i came on today and noticed another rider grey'd out, but i have used my 6 transfers, so does that mean i cant change him till after Gent?  20

Was Ed Boasson Hagen and i had to scrap another rider just so i could squeeze him in

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

51 comments

dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes

nope, click on 'everyone' and pick Dessel instead  1

LabMonkey replied to dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

currently it's not. but soon it will be  1

Not sure I agree with this change.

Part of the game is performing the research and trying to 'gain an edge' - making well timed transfers should be part of this process.

Either way, this game is AWESOME!

Thanks Dave and the team.

sanderville | 12 years ago
0 likes

I also don't think that allowing people to restore their transfers is the way forward. Timing your changes is part of the challenge. Resisting the urge to make a change on Monday morning is part of the challenge.

I do think that you should be able to play around with changes before committing to them. At the moment you have to commit each change piecemeal, which makes juggling finances more of a chore than it needs to be.

But I do think once you've made your changes you should be stuck with them. People should make their changes early on race day if they don't want to risk disappointment.

a.jumper | 12 years ago
0 likes

Be reasonable! This isn't anyone's job and it's meant to be fun, but this over-rewarding sad cases who don't go out on weekend social rides and can make changes early on a race morning is not fun and spoils it a bit IMO.

I think there should be a first earlier cut-off point after which withdrawn riders are italicised but not greyed out, so you wouldn't be in with a chance of position points but could still get points if a teammate (or their replacement) wins.

step-hent | 12 years ago
0 likes

for the purists, can we still score points as a team even if we don't have a competing rider in each category? I dont have wiggins or dessel in my team, so my GC rider wont be doing Roubaix...

dave atkinson replied to step-hent | 12 years ago
0 likes
step-hent wrote:

for the purists, can we still score points as a team even if we don't have a competing rider in each category? I dont have wiggins or dessel in my team, so my GC rider wont be doing Roubaix...

as long as you have nine, you're good to go.

sanderville replied to a.jumper | 12 years ago
0 likes

Firstly I'm not recommending that everyone actually make their changes on race day, I was trying to say that if you're sad enough to do it then that should be your only option.

Every fantasy sport management game has deadlines and the danger that some of the players you choose won't be picked by their real-life manager on the day.

What spoils the fun is when people want the game dummed-down to a level that's convenient for them because they don't have the time or inclination to play it properly. Let the rest of us get on with it and live with the fact that during this long season there will be weeks when you forget to change your team and there'll be weeks when half your team go sick. You win some, you lose some.

Let's not start awarding points to riders who don't ride, otherwise we'll all have the same cheap domestics for the rest of the season.

Gkam84 replied to sanderville | 12 years ago
0 likes
Sanderville wrote:

Firstly I'm not recommending that everyone actually make their changes on race day, I was trying to say that if you're sad enough to do it then that should be your only option.

Every fantasy sport management game has deadlines and the danger that some of the players you choose won't be picked by their real-life manager on the day.

What spoils the fun is when people want the game dummed-down to a level that's convenient for them because they don't have the time or inclination to play it properly. Let the rest of us get on with it and live with the fact that during this long season there will be weeks when you forget to change your team and there'll be weeks when half your team go sick. You win some, you lose some.

Let's not start awarding points to riders who don't ride, otherwise we'll all have the same cheap domestics for the rest of the season.

Have to agree with this, if you dont have time then make the changes you want and stick with it

I dont have huge amounts of time because i'm a very busy person just now, but i make changes when i can or leave it to the last min if i can fit it in on many other fantasy things

But if you do it on a monday and someone pulls out just before the race, well thats life as with any sport, look at last night with Spurs, Lennon pulled out minutes before kick off

Do go changing to much with the game, there could be a couple of things tweaked and sorted before the grand tours begin, but dont make it easy for us

a.jumper replied to Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

@Sanderville - you do seem to be recommending that sad cases with no life outside the fantasy game should be rewarded, so I think I don't understand your message. Playing it properly should be picking the team you think will give the best chance of winning things, shouldn't it? Not obsessively checking the start list and latest withdrawals on race mornings and making sure you have a full squad.

@Gkam84 - most fantasy games I've seen limit transfers-per-season not transfers-per-round (for example, http://fantasyfootball.telegraph.co.uk/terms-and-conditions) which I guess reduces the benefit of late-picking each round.

Gkam84 replied to a.jumper | 12 years ago
0 likes
a.jumper wrote:

@Gkam84 - most fantasy games I've seen limit transfers-per-season not transfers-per-round (for example, http://fantasyfootball.telegraph.co.uk/terms-and-conditions) which I guess reduces the benefit of late-picking each round.

I understand this, I'm not saying to limit or not to limit the deadline tho

I'm just saying, do go making it so easy by having a "reset" button, You should be free to choose when you want to change your team up until the deadline, either way you do it early or late then you have to stick by your decision's and shouldn't get a way out of your choice

If your going to put a reset for those who pick to early, they why not just put in a half race change where if your rider is way behind or crashed out, you can switch them

What i mean is, make it a level playing field like it is just now and dont go benefiting anyone

Gkam84 replied to a.jumper | 12 years ago
0 likes
a.jumper wrote:

@Gkam84 - most fantasy games I've seen limit transfers-per-season not transfers-per-round which I guess reduces the benefit of late-picking each round.

I understand this, I'm not saying to limit or not to limit the deadline tho

I'm just saying, do go making it so easy by having a "reset" button, You should be free to choose when you want to change your team up until the deadline, either way you do it early or late then you have to stick by your decision's and shouldn't get a way out of your choice

If your going to put a reset for those who pick to early, they why not just put in a half race change where if your rider is way behind or crashed out, you can switch them

What i mean is, make it a level playing field like it is just now and dont go benefiting anyone

0 likes

let's also not forget, whilst we're discussing this, that it'll be entirely irrelevant for most of the season: during the three grand tours (that's 63 game stages out of 89) you'll only get an evening and a morning to make your changes, and you're more or less guaranteed to know who's starting. the same is also true, to a lesser extent, of the Daupiné / Tour de Suisse section of the game, although there's a couple of fun days in the middle where both races are running.

Our main reason for changing the transfer system is to make the game easier to play. currently the transfer system is a bit difficult to follow, we're going to make it easier by using the same system that you do to pick your team. An offshoot of that is that we can make it possible to fiddle with your transfers, which we think will add interest to the game without dumbing it down. Yes, it's bad luck if a rider pulls out, but you're using your cycling knowledge and game skill to select a replacement. we think that having the skill element is better than having the luck element.

so long as the rules are the same for everyone and everyone understands them, it's always a level playing field surely? at least in terms of the game. some people will have more time to throw at it than others, not a lot we can do about that.

sanderville replied to a.jumper | 12 years ago
0 likes
a.jumper wrote:

@Sanderville - Playing it properly should be picking the team you think will give the best chance of winning things, shouldn't it?

That's exactly right, and if the people you describe as sad cases want to be up on Sunday morning making last-minute changes to avoid last-minute withdrawals then they should be free to do so. Personally I make my changes on the Friday and hope for the best.

You seem to be asking for the rules to be changed so that no one gets to make a change after you do. In other words, you want the rules shaped around your weekly routine and everybody else should go along with that.

I do not agree that the deadlines should be moved to before the day of the race.

davey boy | 12 years ago
0 likes

To Dave
Will the budget be reset back to 175 after Liege and therefore before the giro start and beginning of the new competition for the new bike?
Thanks
Davey

LabMonkey replied to a.jumper | 12 years ago
0 likes

Oh god, I opended a right can of worms...

a.jumper wrote:

Be reasonable! This isn't anyone's job and it's meant to be fun, but this over-rewarding sad cases who don't go out on weekend social rides and can make changes early on a race morning is not fun and spoils it a bit IMO.

I am lucky enough to work as a researcher in exercise physiology. I get to check the cycling news each day. I play as a cycle coach in my spare time. Yes, I do have a girlfriend. And, here is the really good bit... I get to ride my bike(s) everyday too.

It's a terrible life being a 'sad case'.

Simon_MacMichael replied to a.jumper | 12 years ago
0 likes
a.jumper wrote:

Be reasonable! This isn't anyone's job

Ahem  4

(Definitely helps looking closely at races, riders etc in the course of the normal road.cc day, although I will freely admit to having had huge slices of luck when needed)

rcs500 | 12 years ago
0 likes

I'm really unhappy at the characterization of some of the Fantasy Cycling participants as "sad cases." I make my final transfers the night before the race, which often is a Saturday, where most everyone can spare 10 minutes.

Some of us don't have the cash to buy Pinarellos we'll never race on. I ride my bike as a commuter and also happen to be a pro cycling fan. This game was designed to be easy enough for all levels of fan to participate while also being fun, and I think it's succeeding admirably at both.

LabMonkey replied to rcs500 | 12 years ago
0 likes
rcs500 wrote:

I'm really unhappy at the characterization of some of the Fantasy Cycling participants as "sad cases."

I quite like the label now... my team name may change to "TEAM SAD CASE" for Paris-Roubais.

0 likes

credits should be restored if you're missing riders. working to see what the issue is!

a.jumper replied to rcs500 | 12 years ago
0 likes
rcs500 wrote:

I'm really unhappy at the characterization of some of the Fantasy Cycling participants as "sad cases." I make my final transfers the night before the race, which often is a Saturday, where most everyone can spare 10 minutes.

How the heck do you manage to make your transfers in 10 minutes? After 5 minutes struggling with the cycling start lists site and 5 minutes with the transfer list page, I'm just about remembering not to click the rider's name else the browsers goes to a useless page and my selections are unticked when I click back to return to the transfers select page. It's difficult to use normally and impossible if you switch browser scripting off in an attempt to stop things moving around unasked.

If only it was as easy to use as this forum!

joediesel | 12 years ago
0 likes

I have three ARs and no GC rider since I started before a race with no GC riders. How can I transfer an AR for a GC?

Pages

Latest Comments