Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Barry's Bristol Ball Buster

Any road.ccers going to be there? i'm doing the 200km, probably on Betty the 2spd raleigh  1

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

26 comments

dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes

you want a kickshift and some newbie mates. you can take all day then  1

Jon Burrage | 12 years ago
0 likes

disasterous. trying to keep up with a multi ironman finisher and a national standard time trialist was bloody awful. I need more will power (and fitness)

dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes

turns out the conical washer inside the hub had worked loose, causing the shifting mechanism to fail. who knew?

actually sturmey archer knew, and they sent me a nice powerpoint with step-by-step instructions on how to fix it. and now it's fixed. so well done them  1

incidentally they'd also have been happy for me to send it back for a replacement, but i decided to fiddle with it.

dave atkinson | 13 years ago
0 likes

depends, need to find out what's gone wrong...

Tony Farrelly | 13 years ago
0 likes

So will it affect what you wrote in your review then?

Fringe | 13 years ago
0 likes

90km, so just before Dundry Hill starts to kick in. lucky you!

similar to a few weeks back on the Dunkery Dash where some poor fellow got a puncture 10km from the end.

0 likes

i ended up on the 110k, riding with a mate who'd never done more than 40k in his whole life. so chapeau to him for getting round. My kisckshift stopped shifting after about 90km which made the last bit more interesting (and frustrating) than it might have been...

saw that jon burrage too, and the chaps from Cyclist #1...

Fringe | 13 years ago
0 likes

loverly weather today, and the cake flow'eth. them 212km went flying by, kind of..  4

0 likes

I certainly won't be missing any of the cake stops on the ball buster, they're legendary

Tony Farrelly | 13 years ago
0 likes

With plenty of cake stops

Jon Burrage | 13 years ago
0 likes

agreed - I shall stand in the corner and sob about my lack of bike fitness

repeat three times - I must try harder, I must try harder, I must try harder

0 likes

100km isn't a day  19

Tony Farrelly replied to dave atkinson | 13 years ago
0 likes
dave_atkinson wrote:

100km isn't a day  19

It is if you are trying to enjoy yourself

0 likes

yep indeed! I have been ordered by Holly to have a day out on the bike, cant argue with that.

0 likes

haven't you got a shop to open or something jon?  1

0 likes

A little unfair Dave! Yep, the 'mission' section was daft but I felt good at the time, probably a combination of WI pavlova, lemon drizzle cake and a handful of jellie babies + the flat. Must try and stay composed this year, though Im only doing the 100km ride with a couple of guys from the triathlon shop as we havnt trained in a few months.

Hope to see some others there, I will be donning a road.cc jersey.

Was good last year, nice weather and super company.

dave atkinson replied to Jon Burrage | 12 years ago
0 likes
Jon Burrage wrote:

A little unfair Dave... Must try and stay composed this year, though Im only doing the 100km ride with a couple of guys from the triathlon shop

composed, eh? i heard you were back in the shop by half past one  1

jboyslick | 13 years ago
0 likes

Bristol Belter im in for and the Bath to London ride so far.

Will monitor any others

Rgds James

Fringe | 13 years ago
0 likes

i expect i'll be there.. hope its sunny (gone and done it now eh!)

0 likes

i did 93km on the two-speed on sunday at the lionheart sportive and felt okay, i reckon 200km is do-able. but i guess we'll see, won't we?  22

0 likes

Sunday!

sorry, got a bit mixed up...

it was pretty hard last year but mostly because i was trying to keep on jon burrage's wheel and he was on some kind of mission across the levels  1

this time i'll be taking it a bit easier, probs.

austen | 13 years ago
0 likes

Hopefully it's Sunday or I (and a couple of mates) have got our plans ALL wrong.

After my exploding rim incident last year I'm going to get around the full 200k this time. See you bright and early for scones.

2spd - was it not hard enough last year?

jboyslick | 13 years ago
0 likes

Oh christ! i have work this week, will keep an eye out for some more Bristol / Bath rides that come up

Rgds James

Fringe replied to jboyslick | 13 years ago
0 likes
jboyslick wrote:

Oh christ! i have work this week, will keep an eye out for some more Bristol / Bath rides that come up

Rgds James

if you cant make this sunday, theres a few more.. off the top of my head
blackratcycle sportive in may sometime, expect the bristol belter (sept) will be on again and of course the cheddar audax (sept. again i think)

0 likes

saturday!

jboyslick | 13 years ago
0 likes

When is it Dave??

Latest Comments