On bike nutrition

by DaveP   March 21, 2011  

It's been a while since I needed to buy energy bars... My 6 mile commute doesn't really stress me. Wink

But, I'm doing the Cheshire Cat this weekend and will need all the dietary help I can muster. What bars / gels / jelly babies etc. are worth carrying?

9 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

Zipvit bars, gels and sweets are very good.

posted by FatCycleRider [19 posts]
21st March 2011 - 16:11

like this
Like (0)

Zipvit... Didn't they have a banner ad on here?

Time to Google Nerd

DaveP's picture

posted by DaveP [467 posts]
21st March 2011 - 16:59

like this
Like (0)

+1 for the zipvit stuff ... Smile

still on the 3rd switch-back of Bwlch !

posted by therevokid [664 posts]
21st March 2011 - 17:37

like this
Like (0)

I have been using Mule bars for the last couple of months with no problems. Summer Pudding and Liquorice Allsorts being just 2 of what are some quirky flavours.

Gels you can't beat Powerbar in my opinion.

demoff's picture

posted by demoff [344 posts]
21st March 2011 - 22:50

like this
Like (0)

What would you advise to a type 1 diabetic? Slow releasing carbs? Jacket potato and brown rice? ha any ideas?

2 wheels please!

posted by mancsi [119 posts]
22nd March 2011 - 9:21

like this
Like (0)

mancsi wrote:
What would you advise to a type 1 diabetic? Slow releasing carbs? Jacket potato and brown rice? ha any ideas?

It might be worth you having a look around the Team Type 1 website to see if there are any hints and tips there, or even emailing them for advice. If anyone knows about nutrition for cyclists who are diabetic, it will be them.

www.teamtype1.org/

Simon_MacMichael's picture

posted by Simon_MacMichael [7850 posts]
22nd March 2011 - 9:47

like this
Like (0)

demoff wrote:
I have been using Mule bars for the last couple of months with no problems. Summer Pudding and Liquorice Allsorts being just 2 of what are some quirky flavours.

Gels you can't beat Powerbar in my opinion.

Mule? New to me. Flavours sound fun. Powerbar should be Easy enough to get for the weekend. Smile

Cheers.

DaveP's picture

posted by DaveP [467 posts]
22nd March 2011 - 11:36

like this
Like (0)

mancsi wrote:

in addition this site is also quite good for info..
http://www.runsweet.com/index.html

posted by Chimpage [5 posts]
22nd March 2011 - 14:03

like this
Like (0)

DaveP if you have a big Tesco local they should have special 3 packs of Summer Pudding Mule Bars slightly smaller than the standard bar, normally with the rest of the cereal bars.

demoff's picture

posted by demoff [344 posts]
23rd March 2011 - 2:31

like this
Like (0)