Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cycle commuters, how often do you change your shorts?

Not seen this discussed anywhere else so purely in the interests of scientific enquiry I thought I'd raise the subject here. If you commute in Lycra how often do you change/wash your shorts in a week? My colleague Dave has been strangely reluctant to join me in the search for the optimum commuter short wearing time, so I'm asking you.

I'm guessing if your daily commute is an epic the answer will be every day, but what if - like my new commute it just strays in to the realm where Lycra is slightly the better option?

Up until recently I've worn Lycra for longer weekend rides only, a day in he saddle, and my daily commute has been done in more or less normal clothing. However a few months ago I changed jobs and so now do a slightly longer, hillier commute… It's still only half an hour each way but it's a harder ride and just slightly too sweaty for civvies.

However, two 30 min rides a day divided by eight hours drying time doesn't seem to justify bunging them in the wash every night, or changing for a clean pair. Nasal tests confirm they still seem fresh, even against a control of some clean unridden shorts, my colleague Dave balked at confirming my findings (Pah! calls himself a scientist - they still smell better than his lab coat!).

But joking aside how long would you use the same pair of shorts for, and would your measure be one of time or distance ridden?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

55 comments

handlebarcam | 13 years ago
0 likes

This thread is getting too disgusting, with talk of skid marks and lady bits. Therefore I invoke Godwin's Law: even though Lycra wasn't invented until the 1950s, the Nazis definitely wore their Lycra shorts for more than two days in a row. Therefore anyone who does likewise in evil and wrong.

dave atkinson | 13 years ago
0 likes

phew! cheers hbc...

Tony Farrelly | 13 years ago
0 likes

It's only yucky if it doesn't pass the sniff test…

I can see where Martin is coming from, there probably comes a point on a long ride when your shorts can't get any sweatier, that'll be saturation point I suppose maybe after 60 or 80 miles that isn't going to make much difference on a 160 mile day ride, but would after two 40 mile rides (maybe even one) when your shorts would be as it were full having reached maximum sweat capacity – so you possibly wouldn't want to leave them lying around for a day before you put them on again… they'd fail the sniff test for a start.

mad_scot_rider | 13 years ago
0 likes

24 miles each day - hung to air at night - washed weekly and they're usually not to whiffy at that point

I'm surprised by the squeamishness of some of the commentors and by how many feel the need to change every day

Maybe it's a guy thing, but I'll back the "sniff test"

cat1commuter | 13 years ago
0 likes

We should also consider the environmental angle. Most of the carbon footprint of an item of clothing comes after purchase, from the washing it in a machine. So by washing your lycra less frequently, you are saving the planet.

Stofish | 13 years ago
0 likes

Just a thought, but...
How about sticking them in the freezer when you get home from work (Thus halting the bacteria growth) and then defrosting them in the microwave each morning?
They could go for months without a wash that way!

Tony Farrelly | 13 years ago
0 likes

hmm… defrosting I'd probably want to dry them in the microwave too. Actually I might want a separate microwave  39

workhard | 13 years ago
0 likes

I've taken the easy way out and bought some new shorts at Lidl

sanderville | 13 years ago
0 likes

I had a small insurance windfall at about the same time that I had a crippling saddle sore so I splurged on ten pairs of winter longs from Wiggle so I can wear a fresh pair in the morning and a fresh pair in the evening, then wash the whole lot once a week.

It's only a six mile commute but there's nowhere to dry your kit at work and I never want an infected groin again.

the _chief15 | 13 years ago
0 likes

If you can stand them up to dry them it's probably time to change.

Don't try drying your kit in the microwave, I once did this with some underware, due to bad laundry planning and running late, and had to put out an elastic fire.

rokapotamus | 13 years ago
0 likes

I find merino is the way to go. I wear top and shorts for a weeks ride and not too stinky by friday afternoon.

Simon E | 13 years ago
0 likes

@mad_scot_rider - your sweaty shorts may not smell bad (to your nose), but the bacteria build-up over a few days isn't too healthy. And if you work in an office you may well be sitting down for most of the day.

Artificial fibres dry quickly enough that I can wash my shorts or undershorts after tea and they're ready to wear by the morning.

Combined with regular changes of underclothing, washing yourself properly helps prevent saddle sores. If I do start getting discomfort I apply Weleda nappy cream after a shower or before going to bed.

andylul | 13 years ago
0 likes

I put them back on if I can catch them...

Seriously, always wear at least two pairs of shorts and/or padded undies. Ones nearest to skin get washed after every complete ride, whether it's 10 or 100 miles. Outer layers dependant on conditions, but usually 'yes'

Mind, I cycled into London along the A23 at rush hour once last year and could've justified washing my entire downstairs area many times based on pure terror - thank heavens for a strong perineum...

The _Kaner | 13 years ago
0 likes

When I was commuting in/out from work it was a 10 mile round trip.
Used longs during the winter and padded undershorts (new/ clean pair each day)..the bibs were washed if the weather was wet as often as needed, but if dry (and cold) every couple of days. In summer, tended to wear lycra under baggies.

Anna D | 13 years ago
0 likes

clearly you are all boys. i do a light soap and soak after every 2nd wear and throw them in the washer whenever i do laundry (once a week). lady bits are too sensitive to muck and sweat to do less than that.

Celeste08 | 13 years ago
0 likes

My partner & I each ride/commute at least 100 miles per week. Fortunately we share the view that a pair of shorts wear is limited to one day in the saddle only... End of season sales are a great place to pick up two pairs for the price of one. Two pairs also halve the number of washes.

Martin Thomas | 13 years ago
0 likes

It's not so much the mileage as the number of times you're taking your shorts off and putting them on again if you ask me. I've done 160-odd miles in a day (in one pair of shorts, obviously) but I don't think I'd wear the same pair for four separate 40-mile rides.

I'm definitely with bigant on changing your shorts when you can see skidmarks.

workhard replied to Martin Thomas | 13 years ago
0 likes
Martin Thomas wrote:

I've done 160-odd miles in a day (in one pair of shorts, obviously) but I don't think I'd wear the same pair for four separate 40-mile rides.

I'm intrigued by the reasoning.... apart from the potential yuck factor of putting 'dirty' kit back on.

simonmb | 13 years ago
0 likes

Every 5,000 miles. Whether they need changing or not.

skippy | 13 years ago
0 likes

Whilst all rave about not wearing briefs under the bib shorts , i have continued with this since day one !
Riding the tours thus attired i have found that tossing the briefs at the end of the day generally allows the bibshorts to get used several times before general wear & tear makes hand washing a necessity .

Tops on the other hand get washed nightly as regardless of weather there is a perfume added that annoys the following morning . Even items wrapped and sealed once tucked inside the top become rather wet during the day so it shows how much sweat passes through the top during an etappe of the Grand Tours .

workhard | 13 years ago
0 likes

Hmmmm.... my late mother stopped doing my washing the first time I brought my rugby kit back after school "I'm not making a rod for some other woman's back" she said and thus a 'new lad' was born, and I've done my washing ever since, a situation my wife of 25 years is entirely happy with. Shame on you men that expect your women to do your washing and shame on your women for letting you get away with it.

Shorts; I alternate two pairs during the week with a 4-day-a-week 26-mile-a-day commuting regime, and use assos creme applied straight to the skin when I put them on. Zingy! I wouldn't change my shorts on a 100 miler so I don't buy the need to so when commuting unless they become soiled.

mr-andrew | 13 years ago
0 likes

The secret to getting the girlfriend to do the washing is to try it yourself and be crap at it. In fact, that holds true for many things. The second part of the secret is to make sure she doesn't read the same online bike websites.

David cycling t... | 13 years ago
0 likes

i do my own.... occasionally.

Tony Farrelly replied to David cycling the world | 13 years ago
0 likes
David cycling the world wrote:

i do my own.... occasionally.

Well that should be enough if you don't change 'em every day.

Thinking about it that's probably good practice for the round the world race too  39

How are you gonna deal with the shorts issue on that one?

David cycling t... replied to Tony Farrelly | 13 years ago
0 likes

yeah i do actually change everyday!

and thats where it gets hard! il be going a week or so in the same pair before changing, and washing them at any opportunity i can find. (i know Mark even resorted to washing his in rivers)

paulfg42 | 13 years ago
0 likes

Jeez, how sweaty must some of you lot get to be washing your shorts every day?

Once a week (if necessary  3 ).

viveLaPants | 13 years ago
0 likes

i can go 2 weeks. mind you I do have three pairs I rotate.

pward | 13 years ago
0 likes

2 x 15 miles is enough for my derriere - wouldn't dream of recycling any kit from innermost two layers after that, eurrrgh!

Marky Mark | 13 years ago
0 likes

Everyday for me and I do my own washing  1

downfader | 13 years ago
0 likes

Sniff tester here too (or I could just be a pervert). I smell the braces too as the pad has silver impregnation anyway, and that tends to stop odours.

I ride a minimum of 6 miles, sometimes up to 20 in just the morning. Typically the lycra lasts me 3 days during winter and 2 during summer. I'm a sweaty blighter though.  19

Pages

Latest Comments