Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Chain Reaction Cycles : credit card fraud

this story is appearing on other cycling media. CRC apparently has encountered fraudulent activity on its customers purchasing via its website. http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/crc-security-issues/page/1

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

35 comments

b3nharris | 13 years ago
0 likes

I had a similar issue - my card was used to buy £20 O2 top up after buying from CRC. As it was a new card hasn't used it anywhere other than CRC / amazon. Just received the above e-mail and a goodwill voucher. Was a bit wary of buying from them again, but will definitely do so now - a really great response to something which probably wasn't entirely their fault.

demoff | 13 years ago
0 likes

The goodwill voucher was nice and got me back shopping with them again, although it will be paypal only from now on.

nbrus | 13 years ago
0 likes

I had my credit card cancelled due to fraudulent activity folowing several purchases from CRC ... and despite emailing CRC, received no response and didn't get any goodwill voucher.  2

I wonder how they decided on who to hand out vouchers to? In my case the fraudulent transaction was for a very expensive airline ticket, rather than O2 top ups, but the fraudsters no doubt tried different tactics and when attempts at larger transactions failed, they would then switch to less noticeable smaller transactions. I really doubt the fraud involved only O2 top ups and nothing else.  7

I am not impressed by CRC's lack of response when I registered for updates when this issue was first reported on cycling websites. They completely ignored my emails. I only found out the security breach had been plugged by reading news updates on websites like this. Normally CRC's service is pretty good ... not impressed.  39

DeeGee | 13 years ago
0 likes

I always use PayPal for CRC and Wiggle and whenever else it's available. That way you aren't sending any credit card details through the ether for people to pick up and spend on stuff.

Of course, that's unless PayPal's security gets compromised. Then I'm stuffed...

Paul O | 13 years ago
0 likes

31 My very first post and it's not nice!

CRC still seem to have the problem. I had a quid taken out of my account as a charitable donation, then as above a £30 O2 voucher and then some scumbag paid Lambeth Council £1200 + £800 with my money!

Bank identified Chain Reaction Cycles as the culprits within minutes.

Last fraudulent transaction was 7th April so still going on I'm afraid.

Contacted CRC a few days ago - no reply yet. Keep you posted.

Paul

Pages

Latest Comments