Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Chain Reaction Cycles : credit card fraud

this story is appearing on other cycling media. CRC apparently has encountered fraudulent activity on its customers purchasing via its website. http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/crc-security-issues/page/1

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

35 comments

SQUADRA | 13 years ago
0 likes

an unfortunate coincidence then

Tony Farrelly | 13 years ago
0 likes

@SQUADRA I did read the whole thread before posting my comment. I don't see anyone on there from CRC saying they have encountered fraudulent activity (maybe I missed that?) - I do see people on there who've suffered credit card fraud and who are suggesting a possible connection between that and the fact that they used their card to buy stuff from CRC… don't see any actual proof though.

the_mikey | 13 years ago
0 likes

Thinking about all the possible ways card details can be captured, it's not beyond possibility that some people may have malware designed to pick up exactly the kind of information that one might enter at the point of purchase in an online store, no matter how secure the connection to the store is, if the customers pc is compromised then that security is bypassed.

I had a card skimmed once in a Petrol station in Nice, but the bank stopped some suspicious transactions (starting off as itunes purchases and then attempts at large value purchases from Lebanon and Egypt).

SQUADRA | 13 years ago
0 likes

it was a long thread on the forum.

Tony Farrelly | 13 years ago
0 likes

Well, probably more accurate to say that some people who use CRC are saying that they've suffered credit card fraud.

I haven't seen any reports that say that CRC has encountered fraudulent activity against its customers, (and I have asked them) plus I can't find any "media reports" I can find people talking about it on various cycling forums - which isn't quite the same thing. I'd have to say that there are also plenty of people saying they haven't had a problem and pointing out that given most people's level of card use it could quite easily be a coincidence.

Over the years I've been involved with a number of cycling forums and this has come up regularly - I can't recall an incident on which it subsequently turned out that an online cycle retailer was the root cause. I stand to be corrected, but as someone says on the Singletrack - you're much more likely to have your card skimmed at a petrol station.

Pages

Latest Comments