Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Is it a bad idea to use a shim for my seatpost?

I'm keen to change my aluminium post for a carbon one but I'm struggling to find one I like/can afford in 30.9.

I've seen plenty in 27.2 and have a reducer shim from my mtb. Would this be a daft idea with a carbon post, especially considering I'm 115kg?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

sponging-machine | 15 years ago
0 likes

Thanks chaps. That was my train of thought, and why I'd never dream of doing it with my MTB. Having searched around, I've also found a few posts (including the FSA) for around £50 in a 30.9, so all good.

I just need to find a matching stem and bars, 'cos I'm a tart!

purplecup | 15 years ago
0 likes

as a fairly heavy rider too, who's broken more than one frame at the seat tube/top junction i'd tend to agree with shaun. by adding the shim you're decreasing the area over which the forces are dissipated through that critical junction (unless you can find a really long shim). so it's more likely to break.

you can get cheap carbon posts in 30.9 though... this one http://tinyurl.com/cqpgn8
is only 30 quid and you can get decent FSA and Kore ones for around 50 notes

Shaun Audane | 15 years ago
0 likes

I would shy away from this practice. Most budget "Carbon" models are pretty hardy in my experience but given your size and weight it would be very, very painful were one to fail and you'd void the warrantee into the bargain.

Latest Comments