Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Thanks to Fellow Cyclists - NO Thanks to 4WD Driver

Well, I suppose it had to happen eventually - 3 years commuting in London before an actual accident. Constitution Hill this morning (8 March 2011). 4WD towing an enormous JAGUAR trailer, no doubt containing one such car or maybe big cat, of course - decides to do a U-TURN - yes, a u-turn ON Constitution Hill. Having assumed it was pulling out to overtake another vehicle, I moved out, only for it to u-turn in the road. It continued to do so, even though I was trying to avoid its front - which I did - only to head straight to the opposite kerb and crashed onto the pavement (I'm not a pro and not adept at bunny hopping, particularly at 45 degrees to the kerb). Yes, you would assume the driver would then STOP, having just caused an accident - but, no - he simply drove back up towards Hyde Park Corner and disappeared. I believe that is called failing to stop at the scene of an accident. Naturally, 4 of my fellow cyclists stopped to check I was OK - an act for which I show my gratitude - again showing the camaraderie and humanity that exists in the cycling fraternity. Apart from some cuts and bruises, ripped overshoe, ripped tights, scratched brake levers and scratched gear mech, I am relieved to be in one piece.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

OldRidgeback | 13 years ago
0 likes

The only way the cops won't be able to catch up with the offending driver is if the CCTV resolution is too low to pick up the registration plate.

timbola | 13 years ago
0 likes

Wish I did have a headcam - I am wondering about it now, though.  39

jeremyrundle | 13 years ago
0 likes

I assume you have a headcam

timbola | 13 years ago
0 likes

Well, everyone, I have completed an accident report and will keep my fingers crossed the police will be able to look into it ... updates will appear. I'm hoping they can catch up with them - stocks and rotten fruit at the very least  19

OldRidgeback | 13 years ago
0 likes

Yes, due to the high value properties in that particular area, CCTV cameras abound and I would expect that they're also maintained rather more regularly than most and do actually work. If you haven't reported it to the police, do so. If you've other cyclists prepared to be witnesses that would help. Even if you don't have the registration number of the vehicle, I expect the CCTV evidence will have this. It's quite possible that such u-turns are prohibited in the area anyway and combined with the failing to stop after an accident charge, it could land the vehicle driver with a hefty fine and a number of penalty points that would encourage the person to pay more attention in future.

Kinetic replied to OldRidgeback | 13 years ago
0 likes
OldRidgeback wrote:

Yes, due to the high value properties in that particular area, CCTV cameras abound and I would expect that they're also maintained rather more regularly than most and do actually work. If you haven't reported it to the police, do so. If you've other cyclists prepared to be witnesses that would help. Even if you don't have the registration number of the vehicle, I expect the CCTV evidence will have this.

Very true.

Kinetic | 13 years ago
0 likes

Good to hear you're okay, I see this a lot where I live in Kettering, drivers driving without due care, especially down country roads, driving at stupid speeds.

It would be best to report it to the police really, even if you can remember the companies name.

timlennon | 13 years ago
0 likes

Tell me you got the number and reported it ...

mingsta | 13 years ago
0 likes

Glad you're okay.

A V Lowe | 13 years ago
0 likes

Section 170 offence and linked detail - causing injury and damage to property of another road user due the the PRESENCE of a motor vehicle. Under s.170 RTA the driver is required to present details to any person reasonably requiring them.

First instance of this was in 1903 shortly after enactment of legislation originally under the Motor Car Act, and in that case as well no contact occurred between the car involved and the 2 horses - which had subsequently to be destroyed. The driver incidentally was a company rep (company car drivers starting as they meant to go on!)

I have a suspicion that Constitution Hill is more than effectively covered by CCTV cameras given that the owner of the garden on the South side likes a bit of privacy.

Tony Farrelly | 13 years ago
0 likes

Glad you're okay timbola, can't be too many such trailers around so if you have reported it shouldn't be too hard for the police to track the driver down. Hopefully. Even if they then took no action it might at least bring home to him/her that such behaviour won't go unnoticed.

OneManAndHisBike | 13 years ago
0 likes

You reported the accident to the police, right?

Latest Comments