Finding discount bikes - I'm lazy !

by terrytubby   March 4, 2011  

I've been window-shopping the bike shops online and just wondered if anyone has come across any sites that highlight the latest clearance sales or such like. I mean some sort of deal-gathering site.

There's lots of banners around to get you to click on retailer sales, but its a bit of a job keeping track visiting all the shops.

Seems to be loads of sites if you want mobile phones or TV's etc, but not much for bikes. I've given up looking on those spammy shopping directories.

15 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

if you know what bike you're looking for, www.wheelhub.co.uk is worth a go...

Dave Atkinson's picture

posted by Dave Atkinson [7024 posts]
4th March 2011 - 12:37

like this
Like (1)

If you have all day to sit on the internet, check out www.bonktown.com where most deals are 50% off or so. They just run one deal at a time until the time runs out or the item sells out, then they post the next one. Lots of gear, some good framesets and complete bikes from time to time. It can be a bit of a timesuck though. (You've been warned!)

posted by TheBigMong [218 posts]
4th March 2011 - 16:51

like this
Like (1)

Thanks Dave that one's quite handy - saw it a year or so ago and forgot about it.

posted by terrytubby [13 posts]
11th March 2011 - 10:01

like this
Like (0)

Try out http://www.mtbroutes.com/ for a Wiggle/Evans/Chain Reaction comparision site.

posted by Vankru Performa... [2 posts]
11th March 2011 - 16:42

like this
Like (1)

That one's a bit random !

Came across this one the other day sort of thing I meant:
bikesales.org.uk

Seems to have some main retailers, although few missing but at least it saves a bit of tiem.

24th March 2011 - 11:23

like this
Like (1)

bikesales is just wheelhub with a different skin on, they both run from the same IP Smile

Dave Atkinson's picture

24th March 2011 - 12:43

like this
Like (1)

Oh yes, hadn't noticed that ! I've seen some larger retailers do that (not cycling) - like the coop 'good with food' ends up at the coop anyway. Well not quite the same I suppose, although why anyone would type in 'good with food' instead of the coop is a bit beyond me.

24th March 2011 - 19:13

like this
Like (2)

terrytubby wrote:
why anyone would type in 'good with food' instead of the coop is a bit beyond me.

You need a degree in marketing to "undertand" that kind of thing.

posted by handlebarcam [527 posts]
24th March 2011 - 19:25

like this
Like (2)

Smile

Yes, I'm pretty lacking in that department !

On the other hand living in the real world does stop me buying clingfilmed brocolli at £3.35 per kg, as against £2.20 per kg for the loose stuff Wink

Mind you, some folks are probably spooked by those Dettol adverts and wash loose brocolli in it just in case there's a bacteria on it.

Packaged vegetables should be banned.
And diluted screenwash.
And bottled water.

Oh, dear, a couple of drinks and I'm off on one...

25th March 2011 - 0:25

like this
Like (1)

terrytubby wrote:

Packaged vegetables should be banned.
And diluted screenwash.
And bottled water.

Oh, dear, a couple of drinks and I'm off on one...

That doesn't make you wrong! Big Grin

timlennon's picture

posted by timlennon [226 posts]
25th March 2011 - 11:45

like this
Like (1)

i read an interesting stat not so long ago: the UK *exports* almost exactly the same volume of bottled water as it *imports*. the world's gone mad etc and so on

Dave Atkinson's picture

25th March 2011 - 12:15

like this
Like (2)

Bit of an old thread, but I found this the other day while looking for some winter boots - bit similar to that bike one;

cycle discounts

looks a bit unfinished though I was after a helmet but not listed.

4th October 2011 - 10:30

like this
Like (1)

dave_atkinson wrote:
i read an interesting stat not so long ago: the UK *exports* almost exactly the same volume of bottled water as it *imports*. the world's gone mad etc and so on

at least us cyclists have highly efficient hydration packs and happy to fill up water bottles at the nearest pub Wink

4th October 2011 - 10:32

like this
Like (1)

handlebarcam wrote:
terrytubby wrote:
why anyone would type in 'good with food' instead of the coop is a bit beyond me.

You need a degree in marketing to "undertand" that kind of thing.

You need a job in marketing to even think that kind of bollocks.

We have The Grocer (weekly trade mag) at work and it's nearly all about marketing/advertising/packaging campaigns to sell more junk food to gullible people. What a way to make a living Sad

Simon E's picture

posted by Simon E [1771 posts]
4th October 2011 - 11:41

like this
Like (2)

Come the glorious day we'll make school visits to nugget factories compulsory !

Until then unfortunately £3-00 buys you 10 Pepperami, which the kids treat as a treat. That's 30p each for a minute little sausage thing and I'd guess a massive margin.

4th October 2011 - 14:11

like this
Like (1)