Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Poor road surface/tyre choice

as a roadie novice, Road CC'ers recently provided me with some expert advice on wheels, and having just purchased a pair of Ksyrium SL's I now have a further predicament with tyre choice.

Given the condition of the roads 'generally' I had intended on purchasing something that could handle the potholes. so a 23C Michelin Pro3's @ 200g's for £24.99 (seemed excellent value to me).

Any others I should consider? I'm a 9.5 stone rider, generally doing sportives up to 130miles but had hoped to enter some local road races/TT's also.

Mavic/Schwalbe/Conti/Tufo. (Max £45)

Thanks in advance

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

peasantpigfarmer | 13 years ago
0 likes

PPF. May I advise you not to use your mavic sl's during the winter/salt period. The alloy nipples seize to the alloy spoke and the threaded rim via electrolytic corrosion! Don't be put off the wheels tho, they are great! Use old or cheaper wheels for winter training etc. I have serviced many makes of wheels over the years and alloy nippled wheels in salt conditions suffer the most breakadges. So keep them clean!

Alek | 13 years ago
0 likes

Interesting replies. I currently run C23 Kyrilions which I simply can't fault but did not expect them to be so highly rated by Road CC.

At 235g I presumed these to be on the heavy side for racing/TT's/sportive's and the 25's are 265g.

I'm looking to keep the race bike as light as possible but totally understand the larger volume being a more sensible choice for conditions and comfort over the longer endurance sportives.

I do some research on 25's.

Thank you all so far.

Simon E replied to Alek | 13 years ago
0 likes
Alek wrote:

Interesting replies. I currently run C23 Kyrilions which I simply can't fault but did not expect them to be so highly rated by Road CC.

At 235g I presumed these to be on the heavy side for racing/TT's/sportive's and the 25's are 265g.

Since Pro 3s and Ultremo ZX, for example, are 200g, you'd be adding a measly 70g to the bike. If bike+rider weight is 78kg that's 0.1% of total weight. Better to eat less before a race to achieve the same result or work on your body fat percentage.

IMVHO you're looking in the wrong place to save weight/time, though the tyre manufacturers don't mind you buying more pairs. If you are happy with the Krylions then stop fretting. Anyway, reducing weight is going to have a smaller impact on your speed than making you and your bike more aerodynamic and yourself fitter.

monty dog | 13 years ago
0 likes

Keep the lighter-weight tyres for the warmer months and get something more durable for training. Michelin Krylions in 25mm are probably the best compromise in terms of durability vs performance. Schwalbe Duranos or Conti GP4 Seasons are heavier duty but feel 'dead' and slow in comparison. I've raced on Krylions in early season races, particularly over the potholes. 25mm tyres have a bigger air pocket, roll smoother and faster and grip better too.

Simon E | 13 years ago
0 likes

25mm Vittoria Rubino Pro or Krylion Carbon? Both a bit tougher than Mich Pro 3 and the extra volume adds a little comfort without sacrificing rolling resistance (http://smtp.schwalbetires.com/tech_info/rolling_resistance).

Otherwise something like the 28mm Conti GP4 seasons would be good tyres for poor road surfaces.

None of these tyres will embarass you in TTs or racing. You can always try a pair of Pro 3, Ultremo or similar later in the season if the mood takes you.

cat1commuter | 13 years ago
0 likes

Both great tyres. Continental GP 4000 probably has the edge on durability.

Alek | 13 years ago
0 likes

Conti GP4000 or Schwalbe Ultremo R.1?

richmitch | 13 years ago
0 likes

dont over inflate them... i live in sussex and the roads are crap, and full of flints, ever since i dropped the psi by about 15 on each tyre all has been good. I run 100ish on the back and 90ish on the front... and for the winter i have been using Bontrager All Weather Race Lights 23mm, they have been bomb proof. During the summer months i run Conti GP4000s and they're great.

However, tyres are tricky, and one mans bomb proof is another mans rizler paper, so its a suck it and see job most the time...

mpt68 replied to richmitch | 13 years ago
0 likes

i went all last year with just 1 puncture from feb to october and have had 6 in the space of a week.
suppose i was due some but come on surely thats it for a bit now i hope

cat1commuter | 13 years ago
0 likes

I'd go for a fatter tyre. Much, much better on poor surfaces. Continental Grand Prix 4 Season 700x28, which actually measure 25 mm wide, have been good to me. No punctures in flinty Cambridgeshire.

You could swap for something smoother for TTs, if you really wanted to.

Latest Comments