Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

What brakes with a very long drop?

I've got a Focus light touring bike that i use for commuting. It has Shimano 105 levers and Tektro mini-V brakes. However, the front brake squealed horribly and eventually i gave up adjusting it and bought a long drop (although i had to file out a couple of mm to drop it lower) road calliper.
I was recently involved in a crash that has bent the remaining, rear mini-V, which i am hoping to replace with something similar to the front, only the drop is something like 65mm. What should i do? I know there are a couple of extra long drop callipers out there but should i also be looking at a U brake and/or cantis?
Any help would be most gratefully received  1

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

cat1commuter | 13 years ago
0 likes

Personally, I'd go for cantis.

dave atkinson | 13 years ago
0 likes

I've used other dia compe brakes at about the same price and tbh they're fine. the blocks are a bit scratchy but you can just get some better ones when they wear out.

dave atkinson | 13 years ago
0 likes

Dia Compe do one that'll handle up to 70mm drop:

http://www.ison-distribution.com/english/product.php?part=BCDC806F

they're only £12 a go so you can probably afford to have a punt, i've not used them but have heard they're good value.

paulbeckett replied to dave atkinson | 13 years ago
0 likes

Wow. They do look cheap and not particularly robust. But if they work then they're on my list! Thanks for the recommendation.

Latest Comments