garminn edge 500

by issacforce   February 1, 2011  

has anybody got any comments on the edge 500 as am thinking of buying one as its inside my price range and can u download maps onto it. thanks everyone Wink

5 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

This will cover pretty much everything you need to know:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2009/11/garmin-edge-500-in-depth-review.html

As a quick answer, you cant download maps as such, but you can upload courses (line drawings of routes) if you plot routes out on Bike Route Toaster, for example.

I have one, and have been pretty impressed with it (i dont require the full mapping functions of the Edge 700/800, so the ability to upload a line showing me roughly where i'm heading is fine)

posted by mr_fox [53 posts]
1st February 2011 - 12:08

like this
Like (1)

I use it as an advanced HRM cycle computer. Works well. Reliable, not prone to interference (as I find Polar to be), easy interface to upload your activities on web and probably the best feature is an incredibly versatile and customisable display.

I wouldn't use it as a mapping tool though. Handy to know where you've been but not where you're going.

abudhabiChris's picture

posted by abudhabiChris [499 posts]
2nd February 2011 - 17:41

like this
Like (1)

I'd echo those comments: it's a really good computer and Garmin's uploading and training management tools are the best there is right now. But it doesn't really do mapping.

http://road.cc/content/review/17933-garmin-edge-500

Dave Atkinson's picture

posted by Dave Atkinson [7252 posts]
2nd February 2011 - 17:54

like this
Like (1)

I agree with above comments
if you dont need the mapping the info it provides is fantastic. I have owned the 705 but just didnt use the maps.
great that you get 2 fitting kits so you can just swap it between bikes ( or even run with it in your pocket if your a runner). because of the rubber band fitting kit it takes 10 secs to fit anyhow.
i partcularly like the barometric altimeter for total ascent.
the garmin connect software / website is superb and free

If helmets had never been invented would you never ride a bike ? Discuss....

posted by 11speedaddict [50 posts]
2nd February 2011 - 21:05

like this
Like (1)

to answer your question on navigation, yes you can use it for navigation, I have used on and off road and also even on the smaller 310xt screen and the breadcrumb trail to navigate 100+km in foreign countries: it is plain to see the minute you are off track. to get maps is even easier than rainmaker or above comments say: Wherever I go I enter the location into garmin explore and push whichever track I fancy to my device and away you go. I upgraded to edge 800 and tbh, apart from the sat imagery which helped me once the SDW (off-road) I have never used the street nav and find the non-colour breadcrumb easier to follow...

roadie come mountain biker come single speeder and back again

posted by cborrman [84 posts]
7th February 2011 - 21:27

like this
Like (1)