Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Show us your fixies/singlepeeds

I have been away from my road bike for nearly 20 years following a nasty accident with a Renault 4, been mountain biking ever since and the last two years I have enjoyed my singlespeed, now I fancy converting my old Roberts and need some inspiration please B)

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

24 comments

thebikeboy | 15 years ago
0 likes

Nice pics, lovely looking bike. Did you add the saddle or is it the one that came with the bike?

Ruthe | 15 years ago
0 likes

My mum found this old Raleigh for £10 in a charity shop, I decided on a cheap makeover so took to it with some spray cans, came out ok methinks ... and yes its pink. I love it.
Hopefully change the cranks/rings/bb eventually. Has a flip flop on the back but I haven't tried fixed yet, too many BIG hills where I live I'm worried I'd end up face down in a field after flying over a hedge.
Pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/doobyshots/sets/72157614383073617/

matrs replied to Ruthe | 15 years ago
0 likes
Ruthe wrote:

some spray cans, came out ok methinks ... and yes its pink.

Home spay job looks very impressive in the photos

hammergonewest | 15 years ago
0 likes

Not that long ago then  3

hammergonewest | 15 years ago
0 likes

Now that's my kind of bike. You say yo designed it yourself, who built it?

Iwein Dekoninck replied to hammergonewest | 15 years ago
0 likes
hammergonewest wrote:

Now that's my kind of bike. You say yo designed it yourself, who built it?

XACD in China. Back when the exchange rate was such that this kind of thing was worth doing.

Iwein Dekoninck | 15 years ago
0 likes

Probably not quite what you have in mind, but here's my custom designed (by me) ti fixed winter warrior. Complete with Brooks, dynohub, fat tyres, mudguards and frame pump. And indestructible mile eater but wouldn't call it fast.

Steerer's been cut to size since that picture was taken, it's a lot dirtier now and the tri bars are off too.

Hammy | 15 years ago
0 likes

You'll have to excuse me, I'm a hamster, but what does "goping" mean?

LesBianchi | 15 years ago
0 likes

Why do fixed-wheel bikes always look so simple and elegant, and yet "fixies" look so goping?

DaSy replied to LesBianchi | 15 years ago
0 likes
LesBianchi wrote:

Why do fixed-wheel bikes always look so simple and elegant, and yet "fixies" look so goping?

I'm not sure what the difference between a fixed wheel bike and a fixie is....

ourmaninthenorth | 15 years ago
0 likes

Track bike. For track riding.

It's old - got 27" rims!

//farm4.static.flickr.com/3528/3277783612_6af73492ee.jpg)

('scuse the skanky mobile phone photo)

TRs Blurb n Blog | 15 years ago
0 likes

Here are a few of my favourites including a converted Orange P7 mountain bike. Nice.

Flo K replied to TRs Blurb n Blog | 15 years ago
0 likes

Love the P7, very cool.

Flo K

stever replied to Flo K | 15 years ago
0 likes

//farm2.static.flickr.com/1183/527469368_728059ec51_m.jpg)

Cryptic, eh! On-One Pompino. Enough fun for anyone.

TRs Blurb n Blog | 15 years ago
0 likes

My town ride. Simple and understated.

DaveP | 15 years ago
0 likes

Can't see the 'fun' in fixed.

Here's my commuter, a standard Giant Bowery '08:

//farm4.static.flickr.com/3284/2861785567_5d776c2b02_m.jpg)

DaSy | 15 years ago
0 likes

Here's my pride and joy track bike....

//images.fotopic.net/ylxsr9.jpg)

It's been a labour of love, the frame and forks were originally built for Gilbert Duclos-Lassalle when he was riding for Peugeot in the 80's.

It's had a full Argos re-enamel and full fork re-chrome, then built up with as much NJS as I could afford or lay my hands on. There are some upgrades planned in the near future.

The parts list does read like a Hubjub product catalogue:

Hatta Swan headset (NJS)
Nitto Pro AA stem and seatpost (NJS)
Nitto B125 cromoly bars (NJS)
Sugino 75 bb, cranks and ring (NJS)
HKK Vertex chain (NJS)
MKS chaintug (NJS)

The wheels are at present Miche Primato hubs to Mavic Open Pro CD rims and DT revolution spokes, but plan to change the hubs for Suzue Promax in the near future.

Also have a Kashimax FB-4P saddle coming soon to add to the NJS-ness of it all.

matrs | 15 years ago
0 likes

Nice bikes! Classy resto on the Freddie B)

Flo K - The frame is 1988 Reynolds 531, my plan is to take it back down to Chas and have the gear and guard mountings removed and then have it sprayed in a nice metallic may even have a little chrome work done.

Shaun Audane | 15 years ago
0 likes

Here's some before and after shots taken of my 1955 Holdsworth road path frameset The frame was kindly gifted me by a friend who'd stored it in a garage for nigh on a decade. Tastefully hand finished in Mooreland blue, it had begun to look tired and so was blast cleaned, filled and refinished in what my girlfriend dubs "Ninja" blue.

Flo K | 15 years ago
0 likes

This is my trusty Kona Paddy Wagon that I use for daily commute. Complete with Yanco frame pad, Halo Twin Rail courier tyres in purple and a winter season of grime. Fixed or single speed simplicity is great for bad weather, city riding or simply if you like a clean look. Despite being off the peg, apart from the tyres and saddle, the bike is light weight yet sturdy, a great balance for dodging traffic, the pick up from track stand at traffic lights is brilliant, direct and responsive. What Roberts frame is it?

Flo K

michophull replied to Flo K | 15 years ago
0 likes

My 1977 Freddie Grubb Galibier is shown below. I did a full restoration job on it at the end of last year. It was 12 speed when I bought it second hand back in 1980. I converted it to single speed about 2 years ago and have stuck with it. Still thinking about going fixie too. Gearing is 48 - 18 which is about right for me.

See more photos at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31392615@N06/

This is my first post, so hello everyone.

thebikeboy replied to michophull | 15 years ago
0 likes

Great pictures of the restoration too, I particularly liked the one of the Cinelli 1A stem.

Tony Farrelly | 15 years ago
0 likes

but sure to inspire you. This was on German ebay yesterday - think it went for €880. Scroll down the ebay page to see the full gallery of pics.

Interesting to see that in Germany you are allowed to bolt a Shimano crank to a Campag chainset  1

Flo K | 15 years ago
0 likes

Hi,

what do you have in mind? I have a thing for fixies and singlespeeds myself.

Flo K

Latest Comments