Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Rapha not happy with Torm

Has anyone else been in touch with Torm clothing ? i noticed their website showing"o ut of stock" on all items so i did some snooping. I believe Rapha are squeezing them legally so to speak.
i think this is disgraceful. However you look at it Torm is less than half the price for very similiar quality jerseys. I know some rapha fans dont agree with Torm but thats only because feel foolish spending so much more on identical jerseys. I have owned both brands and i wouldnt buy rapha again over torm BUT now I certainly will not buy rapha if this is how they act to competitors.
are they trademarking the stripe across the arm / front.
Its effectively bullying and more importantly its stopping people like me buying reasonably priced jerseys. What are Rapha saying " you pay our prices or take a hike" outrageous.
I wouldnt mind but by nature Rapha is retro through and through. their designs hark back to previous decades designs.
Anyone else feel the same way ? any Torm owners out there feel Rapha are dictating prices here ?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

121 comments

Fringe replied to dave atkinson | 13 years ago
0 likes
dave_atkinson wrote:

I'm building up an old reynolds 501 frame with a two-speed kickshift at the moment, and intend to do some big rides on it. No carbon super bike for me  1

like the LVIS 200km in march for instance?

dave atkinson | 13 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

like the LVIS 200km in march for instance?

yeah, like the LVIS 200km. if it's built in time, and i feel up for the challenge  17

0 likes

not the dunkery dash though  4

0 likes
Quote:

actually i have sold my addict R1 uberlight frame for a "steel is real" Enigma Extensor XCR custom frame

shiiiiiiiiiny  4

Blackhound | 13 years ago
0 likes

Specialized were at it a few years ago. There was a guy in a shed in Alaska making bags under the Epic Designs label for bike touring off-road.

Specialized squeezed his wot-sits and he is now known as Revelate Designs. They have managed to TM the word Epic!

The _Kaner | 13 years ago
0 likes

I own both brands, and some Shutt stuff. Shutt is different to either brand in price, shape and fit - save the sportwool fibre and a 'retro/classic' overall aesthetic...so no point mentioning them again.
Fit of the Tørm is slightly longer in the body than Rapha. Rapha knit is slightly heavier... But not 2x the quality (fit/finish) to that of Tørm. So Tørm gets the nod on value.
I could justify buying in shirts like this 'every other month'...Rapha is a 'treat'...or once every 6-12 months...There's no necessity to own that much cycling gear...is there?...but shhhh! don't tell the wife I said that....
I'm not a fantastically talented, whippet, race boy..I'm a 40 something MAMIS (hey you can have MAMILs!...  16 ).
Yes, I like to 'look good' whilst out on the bike, giving an air of gentlemanly-ness..(yeah not a word, I know....)... I also like to be comfortable, (both brands win here)...but on a budget.
So I like to cycle...mainly by myself...a kind of 2 wheeled Billy - no - Mates...or should that be Gray Wolf...I'm only pleasing myself in the end - I'm sure my mirror poses don't actually look 'like that' to other people ...I don't need to conform to any stereotype - I can (and do) make my own choices.
It is unfortunate that the bigger of the two brands has shown just how small (minded) they really are...instead they appear to be trying to thwart little David, and not relying on their own 'brand success' to ensure they do not lose their 'niche' market share...
Are they scared that their 'Batty Boy' clientele (By which I'm referring to a 'section' of the pretty boy R wearing crowd that need a certain brand to succeed in all that they do...whilst not really doing anything successful) will move away from them for a 'cheaper, inferior, imitation of their imitation'...not bloody likely.
On the other hand if all that people are interested in is a good quality, reasonably priced, well performing and reasonably stylish, cycling garment..then let them vote by not buying Rapha goods...after all I know people that wear all the 'A' gear going and can hardly see their shoes for their bellies or cover any distance once out on their 5k carbonitis 1.2lb SuperSportif....now those 'A' prices are just bonkers.....(I won't rant about them- unless someone REALLLY wants me to).

11speedaddict | 13 years ago
0 likes

to the _kaner
thank you . after starting this topic, at 1st i thought it was just me moaning. as its progressed i,ve noticed some people in agreement.
BUT your reply hit the nail on the head, and especially that you have experience of all the brands mentioned.
If only I was as articulate as your good self.  7
WOULDNT IT BE WONDERFUL FOR A REPRESENTATIVE OF rapha TO COMMENT AND GIVE THEIR SIDE .  39

Tony Farrelly | 13 years ago
0 likes

As I said at the very top I've got no brief for either Rapha or Torm but, Just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons again…  3

So you set up a small company, do things differently, invest in designers, who come up with classically styled garments featuring well thought out and innovative design details, you use the best materials and you really make a thing about quality control and customer service, you invest in a good website, top end photography, and you take a punt on stock - that's a lot of overhead for a small company. Oh, and you don't pretend to be cheap either - that isn't the point.

A few years down the line, you're still a small company. Rapha (for it is they) are still small even by the standards of cycle clothing companies - it's their profile that's big. Then an even smaller company comes along and, to your point of view, takes the core of your range and simply copies it, slicing out all of that overhead in one go while still retaining a healthy margin thank you very much.

What are you gonna do? Well, ringing them up and asking them to stop copying your kit is unlikely to work… so your only real option is a cease and desist letter and the threat to take things further if they don't. As step_hent said above this isn't bullying it's standard procedure. If the boot were on the other foot do you think Torm would do any differently?

I'm not a big fan of Rapha's pricing, but people forget just how different they were when they came along – not that many years ago – and what an impact they've had on other cycle clothing companies particularly high end ones which have been forced to sharpen up their acts in terms of quality control, design and in particular customer service.

0 likes

I actually think Torm s mistake was the poor imitation of the website / photography with identical layout.
If they had done a completely diff style of website, the designs of the jerseys would not be such an issue because only the T5 is very similiar. remove the sportswool comparison and the other jerseys are not similiar - or no more than shutt etc.
The base layers are different - funny enough you can still buy these.
The armwarmers are another matter completely.

James Warrener | 13 years ago
0 likes

Stock on the website though, so is it all sorted ?

0 likes

actually not in stock
if you look at right hand side stock tab - everything out of stock
if you try to add items to basket - it will add but when you go to basket it will say no available.
so i presume its not sorted yet

gbzpto | 13 years ago
0 likes

i was a customer of both but i will not be buying from rapha any longer

James Warrener replied to 11speedaddict | 13 years ago
0 likes
11speedaddict wrote:

actually not in stock

How odd, I am sure I got past that stage yesterday  39

Sorry if I got it wrong.

CLX1 | 13 years ago
0 likes

All of my cycling kit is Rapha, having read all of the posts in this thread I am now sure that this will continue to be the case.
If I started a small business(which is what Rapha is) and built it up over a period of years and someone came along and so obviously copied my products and website including the look and the photography, I would take action to protect my business, In fact it is what any responsible commercial organisation would do.
I have no connection with Rapha other than being a very satisfied customer. By the way I'm 55, not well off and ride an Enigma before you start with the incorrect stereotypes.

KirinChris replied to CLX1 | 13 years ago
0 likes

Following a similar style is not copying, and in my view is neither immoral nor illegal.

Look at the car industry - have you seen a Kia Optima ? If it didn't have a Kia badge you could think it was a Mercedes CLS.

Rapha's style is derivative itself - take away the brand name and you've got the jerseys of Merckx, Anquetil and Coppi.

If Rapha was a totally innovative style I'd have a bit more sympathy but they've tapped into the old-school retro look and given it some modern touches. Yes they've done it very well but it's open to anyone else to do the same thing.

The essential question is whether a consumer would confuse Torm with Rapha and I can't see anyone suggesting that is likely to happen.

And for the record I have no Torm kit but several pieces of Rapha.

0 likes

Hmm… a lot of the detailing on Rapha jerseys certainly was new (not the ring pull zip) as I said above, people think that because the styling is classical that there's nothing much technical going on, but Rapha's success it seems to me is being innovative in terms of fabrics and detail while wrapping it all up in a slightly retro style.

We've had a fair amount of both Rapha and Torm kit through the office and the opportunity to compare the two… The Torm guys seem like good blokes, but if Rapha called the lawyers it surely can't have come as much of a surprise.

0 likes

hopefully they can sort it out between themselves.

The _Kaner replied to 11speedaddict | 13 years ago
0 likes
11speedaddict wrote:

hopefully they can sort it out between themselves.

..so do I. It'd be a pity to see the minnows be eaten by the bigger fish...we all welcome(I'm sure)an alternative to the big boys...especially if it keeps money in our own pockets...

piedwagtail replied to CLX1 | 13 years ago
0 likes
CLX1 wrote:

All of my cycling kit is Rapha... By the way I'm 55, not well off and ride an Enigma before you start with the incorrect stereotypes.

so you're decked out head to toe in rapha, you ride an enigma and you're not well off. ooookaaaaaaaaaay  4

Fringe | 13 years ago
0 likes

erm.

TheRotor | 13 years ago
0 likes

Rapha may be small but they will certainly have a big enough legal budget to scare off any wanna be's.

Rapha are the new Tesco's?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/oct/15/tesco-runs-up-huge-legal-...

PS
I got Torm kit for Christmas. Might now be a rare collectors item...

0 likes

I'm no legal expert, but I'm pretty sure cease and desist letters cost peanuts

KirinChris | 13 years ago
0 likes

There are no legal grounds - it's a bullying letter.

The legal ways Rapha can stop them is:
a) if Torm has infringed a patent or
b) passed-off / misrepresented itself as actually being Rapha in such a way as may be likely or foreseeable to confuse a consumer

If Rapha has patented those technical innovations then it is clear cut. If they haven't patented them then you have to ask yourself were they actually original or were they not patentable. Either way anyone else can use them. If you haven't patented it then it's freely available - the law is very clear.

Has Torm passed itself off in such a way as to confuse a consumer ? The name is not similar, the styling is reminiscent but not exact. They have not used the touches that Rapha uses to identify itself such as the pink lining. And the legal test is a reasonable consumer giving the products due attention, not someone just grabbing something off a shelf.

So was anyone in the Road CC office ever showing any sign of picking up some Torm kit and only later realising it was Rapha, or vice versa ? Has anyone here gone to the Torm website and not realised it wasn't Rapha ? Because if not, there isn't a case.

This is why the Kia Optima looks like a Mercedes CLS.

Whichever brand you support or favour, this is just an act of bluff and bullying. And ultimately it will be counter-productive in my view, purely from a marketing point of view.

Tony Farrelly replied to KirinChris | 13 years ago
0 likes
abudhabiChris wrote:

So was anyone in the Road CC office ever showing any sign of picking up some Torm kit and only later realising it was Rapha, or vice versa ? Has anyone here gone to the Torm website and not realised it wasn't Rapha ? Because if not, there isn't a case.

Chris, one of those jersey's came in at the same time as its Rapha equivalent - on first, and even second inspection they were damn near identical. Had it popped out of the Rapha packet no-one in these parts would have batted an eyelid. They were so close we all started laughing.

I'm pretty sure they will have taken legal advice, if things were so cut and dried in Torm's favour you'd have to ask why there is suddenly seems to be no Torm kit for sale?

Hopefully whatever problems there are can be resolved and Torm will be back supplying stylish and well priced cycling kit soon.

simonmb | 13 years ago
0 likes

It's clear to everyone that, at the very least, Torm's collection is heavily 'inspired' by the success of Rapha. I honestly don't think Torm's intention was to deliberately 'pass off' their goods as those of Rapha - they are not 'Rapha knock-offs'. The styling details both product share could have been patented by Rapha, but I'm not sure that they are - and the lack of statements from Rapha would seem to indicate that indeed they aren't. Perhaps, in hindsight, Torm will now feel they didn't need to produce items that so closely resembled those of Rapha. With a bit of creativity they could (and hopefully soon will) produce 'classic' styled pieces with a few details that become unique to Torm themselves. After that even Rapha won't be able to touch them. For now this appears to be a newly established market leader trying pull rank on a younger upstart. I hope they don't succeed, but I do hope that Torm learn a lesson from it.

11speedaddict replied to Tony Farrelly | 13 years ago
0 likes

one of those jersey's came in at the same time as its Rapha equivalent - on first, and even second inspection they were damn near identical. Had it popped out of the Rapha packet no-one in these parts would have batted an eyelid. They were so close we all started laughing.

so Tony with reference to above quote , in your opinion and forget any advertising revenue you may lose , man to man , straight up , can you explain the differnce in RRP of the 2 brands of the "near identical" jerseys.
this is my point- i aint a rapha basher ( or wasnt til now)- til torm came along you couldnt really compare but now you can and it makes fools of all of us who have paid over £100 for a clever marketing brand.
its not the similiarities that have annoyed Rapha its that Rapha cant say " we are unique and unique costs more". Torm are saying "stylish sportswool jerseys dont cost any more than lycra". if you check out their site this is what they sell on. AFFORDABLE sportswool.
and BTW sportswool doesnt belong to rapha : Sportwool™ is a unique fabric engineered by CSIRO from Australia. Being used for sports clothing before Rapha existed.

0 likes

Whoever said Sportswool belonged to Rapha? Not me.

Well, I wouldn't be bothered about losing ad revenue one way or another - that doesn't come up in the case of Rapha or Torm though cos neither of them advertise  1

If I was being that calculating it would be more in my interest to come down on Torm's side card - Rapha don't do adverts – in the hope that the new guys might. Whereas I'm just trying to be objective - the only Rapha kit I've ever bought was in the sale - list is too salty for me.

Think I did explain how you could produce bike kit and still make a heallthy margin while selling at a very competitive price… same applies to all sorts of other kit too.

The simplest way is to get hold of some Rapha kit (the most cost effective way if it was Rapha would be to go to the sample sale) then find a factory in the Far East, Vietnam would be a good bet – low cost, low minimum runs and if you up the number the cost per unit will really start to drop, send 'em your 'samples' and specify your colours. Arrange shipping, build website, put the word out. Bish! Bash! Bosh! No expensive designers or product testing that'll take a mighty slice out your costs + if you've gone for longer runs on fewer garments you can drop them even further. If you've got the money up front to do that your unit cost will be so low and your margin so big (that you can afford to sell cheap AND know that you will break even by selling just a small proportion of your stock - the rest is bunce.

Finding a factory is surprisingly easy to do - a few years ago some work colleagues and I went quite a long way down the road to having a small consignment of Titanium bikes made at a factory in China.

Now I don't know if that's what Torm did, but I suspect that's what Rapha think they did + because Rapha sell direct they know exactly who've they've sold what to in the past.

Reason I've got some clue to all this is that over the past few years I've done a fair amount of jersey buying for various magazines & websites+ we're in the middle of the same process at the moment on road.cc for both lycra and merino jerseys - both coming soon and both will be good quality and reasonably priced - and the reason we can do that is that we're more interested in having lots of people wearing our jerseys than making money - just as well with the unit cost of Italian made merino  16

0 likes

Sorry Tony- wasnt meant to be having a go at you.just wanted your exact opinion on the prices of the 2 brands.
You have been very objective.
Also wasn't directing the sportswool comment at you either - its just that if you break it down what is the objection.?
sportswool- no- other brands use it
ring pulls - no ditto
slanted pockets ???
similiar font graphics - no
pump sleeve - no
the band on both arms- maybe....so thats it ...petty. torm do 6 jerseys and only one resembles rapha (.the thin stripes across the chest jersys do not look like a rapha any more than shutt)
sorry to repeat myself but i reckon the only objection is that they are the same quality but less than half price.Rapha wouldnt give a toss if torm were £120 cos few people would choose the newer brand.
again the armwarmers are a diff matter completely but weirdly you can still buy these.
they need to get it sorted ASAP. its only bad publicity for Rapha. they are not gonna come out of this smelling of roses

0 likes

No worries Ian, didn't take it that way - fair questions I reckon.

Fringe | 13 years ago
0 likes

howabout phoning Torm to see what the beef is eh?

Pages

Latest Comments