Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Blood donation and cycling

The people at work organised a blood donation for tomorrow, and I was wondering whether it's safe to train on Saturday. Should I skip cycling for the weekend?  39

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Stephanos | 13 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for all your advice. I think I'll skip for Saturday, and go for a ride on Sunday.
@jova54: I think O- is one of the most rare types. Someone with O- get only get infused with O- blood, but O- can be used to infuse people with any kind of blood type. Anyway I'm O+  16

jova54 replied to Stephanos | 13 years ago
0 likes
Stephanos wrote:

@jova54: I think O- is one of the most rare types. Someone with O- get only get infused with O- blood, but O- can be used to infuse people with any kind of blood type. Anyway I'm O+  16

Edited reply:

Just had a look at the Blood.co.uk website in more detail. Seems I'm rarer than I thought I was. I am one of only 7% of the UK population being O-. I never realised I was that special.  4

My daughter says I am special but more in a sympathetic way.  3

JC | 13 years ago
0 likes

Some people (not all) feel a bit wobbly straight after blood donation, but you should be fine after 12 hours and a good nighs sleep!

jova54 | 13 years ago
0 likes

Blood Doning, another excuse to drink tea and eat biscuits.  4

I think it takes 8-10 hours for the body to replace the blood, which is spare capacity anyway. Blood.co.uk advise no heavy lifting or operating heavy machinery or HGV driving for at least 4 hours after donating.

As Rob says above, listen to your body, take it easy on Saturday and Sunday should be OK.

I'm down to donate tomorrow as I've missed the last two sessions I booked for due to work. If you're O Rh -ve then please donate, it's among the most common blood types and stocks are very low.

Just lie back and enjoy it and the tea and biccies afterwards.

robert.brady | 13 years ago
0 likes

*Saturday.

robert.brady | 13 years ago
0 likes

From personal experience, I don't think it would be a problem.

Eat and drink plenty before and after donating and perhaps don't commit to a really hard training session so you can bail out if need be.

Ultimately, listen to your own body and if you don't feel up to training on Sunday, don't do it.

Cheers.

Rob

Stephanos | 13 years ago
0 likes

Should've seen that one coming  19

Simon_MacMichael | 13 years ago
0 likes

"The people at work have organised a blood donation."

You're not a first-year pro cyclist, are you?  3

Latest Comments