Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

A touring bike for me

In the market for a new comfortable road bike / tourers and been looking at Surly LHT, Salsa Vaya, Kona Sutra and Jamis Aurora Elite. Another option is a On One Pompino Alfine.
Not mega tours just 2/3 days at max and nice rides of up to 100miles.

Any thoughts or reviews on the bikes. Some like the Sutra are cheaper than RRP (£800 at Triton Cycles) so that is swaying me although Salsa, Jamis and On One are pretty (is that important)

Rich (thanks)

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

Ghedebrav | 11 years ago
0 likes

I absolutely love my Cinelli Gazzetta Della Strada. Definitely at the 'audax' end of things, it's a quick, beautiful beast of steel. Though you'd need to upgrade the tyres (Schwalbe Marathons FTW) and also whack on a B17 saddle. And add a rear rack, of course.

The Genesis Croix-de-Fer is a modern classic, of course, so shouldn't be discounted from your search; ditto the Surly Cross Check (which sounds better for your purposes than the LHT).

Don't know if you live near an Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op branch, but they brought out an Audax bike this year under their 'Revolution' own brand that is a bit cheaper than the above-mentioned but still good quality; rack-ready and candy-striped.

musicalmarc | 11 years ago
0 likes

I have the On-One Pompetamine and am in two minds about it. Weight isn't that much of an issue when you have panniers on but my average speed is about 2mph slower compared to my Alu Carbon. I have heavy touring tires on the On-One and carry more weight so all things equal the difference isn't likely to be much. The Alfine is smooth and reliable but feels spongy when climbing, this is the thing I don't like about it. There is something odd about the way the Alfine feels when going up hills. That said I've done a century on it and was fine. With touring tires I can cross fields or tracks no problem. If I was to replace it I would probably sacrifice some of the do it all ability and get a Genesis Equilibrium. 99% of my riding is in London and since moving office I don't get a nice long park section anymore.

Yennings | 11 years ago
0 likes

I have a Condor Fratello, which I can't praise too highly - really solid all-rounder. Might be worth looking at the Genesis CdeF bikes too?

Yennings | 11 years ago
0 likes

I have a Condor Fratello, which I can't praise too highly - really solid all-rounder. Might be worth looking at the Genesis CdeF bikes too?

dave atkinson | 13 years ago
0 likes

I'd steer towards the 'sport tourer' (Audax) end of the range for that kind of usage. That Surly's not called Long Haul for nothing and the Sutra is a proper beast of burden too. The Vaya is a fun bike; i've not done too many miles yet on the Jamis but mudguards aside it feels great, of the four it's probably the bike i'd choose for a 100-miler (after swapping the tyres for some 28s)

stw.philj | 13 years ago
0 likes

Spent 10 days in October touring northern Italy on my Surly Cross Check. Felt great. 'Normal' enough to use as a (fairly heavy) winter training bike but burly enough to carry 2 full panniers without going too noodly.

Also flexible enough that I can run it singlespeed for tatting around town and/or in cross mode for the rest of the year, just about justified it for me...

You can get a 135mm alfine in the back too I believe?

Phil  1

Latest Comments