Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Ksyrium Elite pot hole damage - terminal?

Hi,
I damaged my rear wheel on my commute home last night. I'm assume i hit one of London's notorious potholes a bit too hard. The result is that two spokes are no longer attached to the hub body - one of the (plastic) raised parts of the hub which anchors the spokes to the hub in pairs has broken off. Its a Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheel about two years old in otherwise very good nick. Is this all over for the wheel or fixable (new hub?) at less than the cost of a new one. Any advice would be great, thanks.
Brendan

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

SPAM Naval | 13 years ago
0 likes

just a note to cat1commuter, you were right the bit that broke is aluminium (thats what you get for looking in semi-darkness i guess!).
i'm back in action anyway after putting back on the Aksium last night. thanks chaps

SPAM Naval | 13 years ago
0 likes

Guys
Thanks for the feedback, very helpful. It's definitely a plastic part of the hub body (they;re probably 2008 wheels I think). i'm probably going to go down the road of buying a new wheel cos i agree i think trying to buy a new hub body and rebuild the wheel with a three year old rim isn't worth it (for now I'll revert to the original Mavic Aksium rear wheel that i have as a spare).
anyone need some Elite spokes, you know where to come now..  4

Fringe | 13 years ago
0 likes
Fringe | 13 years ago
0 likes

well for my 2p worth i think it kinda depends on the rim and if you can build wheels.. sounds like the hub is unusable so if you can get a new/second hand compatible hub, new spokes and the rim isn't to worn then you could build yourself a new wheel. but if the rim hasn't got much life left you prob. better off getting a new wheel. buying a new hub and then getting a LBS to build it for you may not be much cheaper than a new wheel..

cat1commuter | 13 years ago
0 likes

I'm sure that the bit which attaches the spokes is aluminium, not plastic. This is true even on the Mavic wheels with pointless carbon fibre hub shells.

Stephanos | 13 years ago
0 likes

Theoretically you should be able to change the hub and replace the spokes. Not sure how much would that cost though.

Latest Comments

• MattKelland 2 sec ago

GWR also allows you to make bike and seat reservations on its services yourself via your online account, regardless of where you got your ticket.

• OnYerBike 10 min 41 sec ago

Wax tends to last longer than wet lube between applications (although varies depending on brand of wax/lube). So, however frequently (or...

• Steve Williams 16 min 12 sec ago

Personally I find have my arms wider just makes it that little bit easier to breathe - I wonder if others do too? Got to love the toe clips, 5mm...

• mattw 37 min 41 sec ago

The road is an in-out No Motor Vehicles Except Access loop with no vehicle access in the middle of the loop ie effectively a crescent....

• cyclisto 55 min 51 sec ago

I understand that if it is on sale, most likely it will be sold. I am just trying to understand its benefits....

• DJameson 1 hour 3 min ago

My regular Aldi is urban, and the bike racks are heavily used and fantastic. I appreciate that they're right outside the plate glass, so any...

• Rendel Harris 1 hour 10 min ago

So, just as an example, what had five-month-old twins Naeim and Wissam Abu Anza, killed in an Israeli airstrike on a civilian house, done in their...

• Steve K 2 hours 6 min ago

On the subject of other vehicles blocking cycle lanes, there is a point on the Croydon Tram between Waddon and West Croydon where it is designed in...

• daccordimark 2 hours 19 min ago

I've had one of these since November and agree it's good value for money. For me, the ride is a bit harsh and I can't really detect any comfort...

• mark1a 2 hours 49 min ago

I tried something similar with some timber and a pair of Delta hitches, with (unlike yourself) limited success, and so for people like myself with...